Personalize the User Experience of an Alexa Skill
Note: Watch the replay of Alexa Live ‘22 on demand. Catch the latest on ambient intelligence, smart home, and AI.
The following resources help you personalize the experience of using an Alexa skill.
- Concepts and procedures
- API reference
- Sample code
- Blog posts
- Videos, podcasts, and webinars
- Twitch streams
Concepts and procedures
- Add Personalization to Your Skill – How to make your skill personalize its responses for recognized speakers.
- Access the Alexa Shopping and To-Do Lists – A description of how to enable your skill to read and modify the user's to-do and shopping lists.
- Understand Account Linking – The documentation about how to connect the user's identity with a user account in a different system.
- Configure Permissions for Customer Information in Your Skill – Some information about the permissions that your skill can request from the user.
- Enhance Your Skill With Address Information – A description of how your skill can request the user's permission to use address data associated with their Alexa device, and how to query the Device Address API for this data.
- Location Services for Alexa Skills – A description of the services that your skill can use to find the current device location of the customer.
- Request Customer Contact Information for Use in Your Skill – A description of how your skill can request the customer's permission to access their contact information and how to query the Customer Profile API for this information.
- Session object – The API documentation for the session object, which includes the user ID and other information that you can use to personalize your skill's response.
- Alexa Cookbook – Sample code that demonstrates how to add features to an Alexa skill.
- How to Use Session Attributes in Your Alexa Skill to Enhance the Voice Experience – A discussion of how you can use session attributes to personalize the user experience.
- Code Deep Dive: Slots and Session Attributes in the ASK SDK for Node.js – A discussion of how to capture user input using slots so that you can cater responses accordingly, as well as a deep dive into session attributes.
- Personalize Your Alexa Experience in Minutes with Alexa Skill Blueprints – A description of blueprints, which are skill templates, and how to use them to create customized experiences for Alexa.
- How Building for Voice Differs from Building for the Screen: Individualize Your Entire Interaction – A discussion of how to individualize the voice experience through personalization.
- Alexa Skill Recipe: Using Session Attributes to Enable Repeat Responses – A description of how to implement functionality that enables users to have Alexa repeat what she just said.
- Alexa Account Linking: 5 Steps to Seamlessly Link Your Alexa Skill with Login with Amazon – The basics of account linking with Login with Amazon (LWA) and the steps to configure your skills to use it.
- 10 Tips for Successfully Adding Account Linking to Your Alexa Skill – Some best practices for creating a high-quality account linking experience for your customers.
- Beyond the Basics: Best Practices for Adding Account Linking to Your Alexa Skills – An additional list of best practices to help you provide your customers with a seamless account linking experience.
Videos, podcasts, and webinars
- Developing Alexa Skills – Account Linking – A video that describes how to incorporate account linking into your skill.
- Alexa Skill Blueprints – Create your own Fairy Tale Story – A short tutorial that demonstrates how to create a fairy tale story.
- Alexa Skill Blueprints – Create your own Family Trivia Game – A short tutorial that demonstrates how to create a family trivia game.
- VOD - Alexa Account Linking – A broadcast that describes account linking and how to implement it in your skill.