Register for Amazon Associates on Alexa
With Amazon Associates on Alexa, Amazon's affiliate marketing program, you can recommend products to your customers and earn commission from qualifying purchases. For more details about the program, see Earn money with Amazon Associates on Alexa.
Follow these procedures to register your skill with the Associates program and update your skill code to attribute purchases to your Associates ID.
To register for the Amazon Associates on Alexa program, your skill must meet the following prerequisites:
- Your skill must be certified and published in the Alexa Skills Store. To register, you need the URL of your skill detail page in the Alexa Skills Store.
- Your skill must be available in a marketplace that supports the Associates on Alexa program.
- Review your product recommendation design. Each time your customer engages with your skill with voice or text, you must disclose that your skill earns a commission from product recommendations. For details on the requirements, see product recommendation guidelines.
- Review the eligible products and associated commission rates. For more details, see the Amazon Associates Standard Commission Statement.
Steps to earn commission in your skill
Complete the following steps to register for the Amazon Associates for Alexa program and update your skill code to attribute purchases to your Associates account. When you complete these steps, you have completed all the steps to implement and publish a skill that includes Alexa Shopping Actions.
- Create an Associates account.
- Save your Associates ID.
- Update your skill code to earn commission.
- Add tracking IDs (optional).
- View earnings.
Step 1: Create an Associates account
To register your skill with the Amazon Associates on Alexa program, you create an Amazon Associates account. If you have an existing Amazon Associates account for a website, mobile app, or social network, create a new one for the Alexa program. For help to get started, see About Alexa Skills.
If you already have an account with Amazon Associates on Alexa and you want to add other shopping skills to the same account, create a tracking ID for each skill. For more details, see Step 5: Add tracking IDs.
To create an Amazon Associates account
- To create an account in the US, open Amazon Associates US, and then click Sign up.
Or, to create an account in the UK, open Amazon Associates UK, and then click Sign up.
- On Your Account Information, enter your developer or company information, and then click Next.
- On Your Websites and Mobile Apps, for Enter Your Mobile App or Alexa Skill URL(s), enter the URL to your mobile app or skill detail page in the Alexa Skills Store, and then click Add.
Note: Don't add any other websites, mobile apps, or social media handles.
- To continue to create the account, click Next.
- For Are any of the traffic sources listed above directed primarily at children under 13?, select the appropriate option, and then click Confirm.
- For Profile, fill out the required fields. For Alexa skills, fill in the following details.
- For Tell us about the content you create?, enter a short skill description and information about how you intend to recommend products to customers.
- For Which of the following topics best describe your content?, select the topic that best describes your skill.
- To prevent fraud, type in the characters in the captcha image.
- For Operating Agreement, click the link to read the Associates Program Operating Agreement, and then select the check box to acknowledge that you read and agree to the terms.
- To create your account, click Finish.
You can complete the Associates program setup now, or come back to complete the setup.
Step 2: Save your Associates ID
After you create your account, you see your unique Associates ID. In a convenient place, such as Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac, paste the Associates ID, and then save the file. You use the ID in the Alexa Shopping actions API to attribute purchases to your Associates account.
If you want to attribute purchases in multiple marketplaces, see How to Monetize International Traffic with the Amazon Associates Program.
Step 3: Update your skill code to earn commission
To earn commission from your product recommendations, you must update your skill code to attribute purchases to your Associates account.
For more details about products that earn commission, see Associates Program Standard Commission Income Statement.
To update your skill for the Amazon Associates on Alexa program
- Update your product recommendations to disclose that your skill earns commission by recommending products.
For more details, see Product recommendation guidelines.
- Enable Associates in your skill.
- Add your Associates ID and tracking ID to your Shopping Actions API requests in the
Attributionobject so that Alexa attributes qualifying purchases to your Associates account.
The following shopping actions support attribution:
- Test your skill for each action that your skill includes.
- Review Alexa Shopping certification requirements, and then resubmit your skill for certification.
Step 4: Add tracking IDs (optional)
With tracking IDs, you can analyze the performance of various skills or product recommendation segments as you accumulate earnings under a single Associates ID. You can add a tracking ID for each skill that uses Alexa Shopping Kit, and you can add tracking IDs to create product segments. For more details, see Using Tracking IDs.
To add a tracking ID to an Amazon Associates account
- Sign in to your Amazon Associates account.
- Navigate to Manage Your Tracking IDs.
- To add a new tracking ID, under Selected Tracking ID, click Add Tracking ID.
- For Add a Tracking ID, enter a name that represents your skill or product segment, and then click Create.
- In a convenient place, such as Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac, paste the Tracking ID, and then save the file.
- Continue with Step 3: Update your skill code to earn commission.
Step 5: View earnings
If you registered and certified your skill with the Amazon Associates on Alexa program, you can view your earnings on the home page in the Associates portal. To review your earnings report, on the menu Reports dropdown, click Earnings Report.
For more details about commission, see Associates Program Standard Commission Income Statement.
Last updated: Mar 16, 2023