Smart Home Skill Concepts
This section describes concepts that you should understand when you build Smart Home skills for Alexa. For details about the Alexa Smart Home Skill API, see Understand the Smart Home Skill API.
If you are ready to start building your skill, see steps to build a Smart Home skill.
In this section
- State and Change Reporting — How to include support for state and change reporting when you build a skill that interacts with a Smart Home device.
- Send Events to the Alexa Event Gateway — Explains what you include in a message to the Alexa event gateway from your Smart Home skill, and where you send it.
- Proactively Manage Endpoints — Notify Alexa about changes to the endpoints associated with your Smart Home skill.
- Authenticate a Customer to Alexa with Permissions — Authenticate customers in some messages that you send to Alexa from your Smart Home skill.
- Device Templates — Recommends sets of interfaces that you could implement in your Smart Home skill for different types of devices.
- Develop Skills for Multiple Languages — Create Smart Home skills for Alexa that respond to customer utterances in different languages.
- Best Practices for the Alexa App — Best practices to support the Alexa app with you Smart Home skill.
- Bluetooth Mesh Support — Support for Bluetooth Low-Energy mesh, a wireless many-to-many communication technology designed to enable the control and monitoring of a large number of connected devices.
- Zigbee Support — Support for Zigbee, a global wireless radio communication standard designed to enable the control and monitoring of connected devices.
- Migration Guide v2 to v3 — Updating an existing Smart Home skill from version 2 to version 3 of the message format.