Supported Countries (VSK Echo Show)
Countries and Locales
VSK for Echo Show is not supported in every country and for every locale, and the AWS regions you must use for your lambda function are strictly enforced, rather than optional. The AWS regions are:
- us-east-1 (N. Virginia)
- eu-west-1 (Ireland)
- us-west-2 (Oregon)
What is a locale?
A locale is the language used in a particular region, regardless of the country. For example, Canada has both en-CA (English) and fr-CA (French) locales. Alexa is able to process phrases in these locales when customers interact with an Echo Show device through VSK.
While setting up the reference video skill, the Automated Infrastructure CLI Tool prompts for a single distribution country, and also for one or more locales. Based on the distribution country, the system selects the AWS region to deploy the AWS resources to. For, example if you select Italy as a distribution country, the AWS resources are deployed to the eu-west-1 region (EU).
The following table lists the currently supported countries and locales for VSK for Echo Show, sorted by locale.
|Video Skill Available for Echo Show
|United Arab Emirates
AWS Regions and Video Skills
The AWS region for your lambda function must match the requirements listed in the following table.
|en-US, es-US, en-CA, fr-CA, pt-BR, es-MX
|US East (N. Virginia)
|en-GB, fr-FR, de-DE, it-IT, es-ES, en-IN, hi-IN
|Far East (FE)
|US West (Oregon)
(In the locale abbreviations, the lowercase letters indicate the language, the uppercase indicate the region. For example, "fr-CA" refers to French-speaking Canada, whereas "en-CA" refers to English-speaking Canada.)
- What does it mean for video skills to be supported in other countries or locales?
- If video skills are supported for a specific country or locale, it means you can create video skills for Echo Show in these countries or locales. Alexa processes customer phrases in these countries and locales.
- Why can I already say Alexa video commands in unsupported countries or locales?
- Voice interactions with Amazon Prime Video titles are supported in countries/locales where third-party video skills might not be supported. For example, you might be able to say, "Alexa, Play Bosch" (a Prime video title) and your Echo Show could retrieve the title, whereas if you say "Alexa, Play House of Cards" (not a Prime Video title), Echo Show might not be able to retrieve the title. Some third-party apps in unsupported countries might have video skills as part of a beta program.
- When will video skills be supported in all the countries and locales listed above?
- Timelines for support are not provided prior to the release in that region.
- What does public beta mean?
- For locales in public beta, the functionality works, and we expect to improve the coverage of content including programs, channels, actors, and movies. During public beta, functionality may be changed, improved, corrected, or discontinued as we receive feedback and iterate.
See Release Notes.
Last updated: Apr 12, 2022