Skill Metrics FAQ
This page contains frequently asked questions and answers about skill metrics. For details about skill metrics, see About Skill Metrics.
- Q: Does a skill have to be live before viewing its metrics?
- No. Some metrics, including operational metrics, are available for skills in both the development stage and live stage.
- Q: How frequently does the data on the Analytics page update?
- For the retention metric, the data refreshes weekly. The data doesn't update until at least one week of data is available.
- For the user enablements metric, the data could be up to one day old.
- For operational metrics, the data could be as recent as five minutes.
- For other metrics, the data could be up to two hours old.
- Q: What formats are available for exporting my metrics data?
- Available data formats for infographics (charts, grids, and other visualizations) exports are PNG or JPEG images. Export raw data in CSV format.
- Q: How does Amazon identify a "unique customer"?
- Amazon identifies a "unique customer" as a user who launched a skill through their unique Amazon account. Amazon counts unique customers by user accounts, not devices. A user that launches a skill on more than one device registered to the same account counts as one unique customer.
- Q: What are "user enablements"?
- Amazon identifies "user enablements" as the unique user accounts that enabled a skill. Users might enable skills through voice interactions, the Alexa app, or the Alexa Skills Store. Some skills require users to link their accounts to enable the skill. See Skill activation and token retrieval metrics.
- Q: Why is the number of unique customers and user enablements different?
- Some users might enable your skill, but not launch it, so they aren't included in unique customer counts.
- Q: Why does the number of unique customers change when I change how the data is aggregated?
- The number of unique customers changes because the meaning of "unique" changes depending on how you aggregate the data. For example, consider the following scenario in which multiple customers use the same skill in the same day:
- User A uses the skill at 01:00.
- User B and C both use the skill at 11:00.
- User B uses the skill again at 15:00.
When you filter the data by the hour, you see one unique user at 1:00, two unique customers at 11:00, and one unique user at 15:00.
When you filter the data by day, you see a total of three unique customers.
Combining the number of unique users per hour doesn't necessarily give you the number of unique customers per day, because it doesn't account for repeat users. The metrics that you see on the Analytics page account for repeat users, which explains why you might see differences when you filter the data differently.
The Summary section of the Analytics page shows the total number of unique customers for the entire date range that you choose.
- Q: How do I see the operational metrics for my skill for all the regions where I published my skill?
- If you have the same Skill ID across the regions, you're able to view operational metrics across regions. Use the Region drop-down list to choose the region for your metrics.
- Q: How do I see the total metrics every locale or language for a skill in one place?
- From the language drop-down list in the upper left, choose All to see combined metrics for all language models for a skill.
- Q: How do I see my user retention rate?
- The cohort chart in the Retention section of the Analytics page shows the number of returning users and the percentage increase or decrease of retention increase or decrease over time.
- Q: How long is skill metric data available?
- Metric data is available for the past 15 months.
- Q: Why am I not seeing the metrics for my smart home v2 skill?
- Operational metrics are available for smart home v3 skills only. Upgrade your skill to v3 to access operational metrics. For details about how to upgrade, see Smart Home Skill v2-to-v3 Migration Guide.
- Q: How do I provide feedback or report issues?
- Email Amazon email@example.com. Alternatively, click the Send Feedback link located at the bottom of each operational metrics page. In your feedback, enter a detailed description of the issue you're reporting.
- View Skill Metrics
- Interpret and Troubleshoot Skill Performance Metrics
- Download Message IDs for Troubleshooting
Was this page helpful?
Last updated: Oct 13, 2023