Distribute Your App Internationally
Whenever you create a new app, it is set to be available in all countries by default. To change international availability, you can select the countries where your app is available on the Availability & Pricing tab. You can also select localized versions of your app to be available in specific locales.
- Supported Locales
- Countries Are Grouped into Marketplaces
- Submitting a Localized App
- More Information on Localizing Your App
When distributing your app internationally, you can decide which locales to target with a localized app experience. Note that you are responsible for ensuring your app complies with all applicable export and import restrictions of the countries you select. Fire TV supports the following locales for apps:
- English (U.S.)
- English (U.K.)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- English (India)
- English (Australia)
- Chinese (Simplified)
Countries Are Grouped into Marketplaces
Different countries and regions are grouped into different marketplaces. Marketplaces include Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com.au, Amazon.com.br, Amazon.de, Amazon.es, Amazon.fr, and Amazon.it.
You can see which countries are grouped into each marketplace in Countries and Territories Eligible in Other Amazon Marketplaces. Although Fire TV is available in 150+ countries, there are only about a dozen different marketplaces where different app locales are available.
If the user's country or region is outside of a marketplace, the English app is made available. Users who download your app in a Amazon marketplace that corresponds with one of these locales will get the localized version of your app (if available).
Submitting a Localized App
When you submit your app, you can select these other locales for the localized versions of your app by doing the following:
- On the Availability & Pricing tab, click Edit (if necessary), then next to Where would you like this app to be available?, click Only in selected countries and regions and select the locales for your app.
- On the Binary File(s) tab, click Edit (if necessary), then click Save and Add a Binary. Upload the localized version of your app.
- On the Description tab, click Edit (if necessary), then click Add translations and add localized descriptions for the locales you want.
- On the Images & Multimedia tab, click Edit (if necessary), then click Add Localized Media and then submit the localized image assets for your app.
(Note that although users can change the device language of their Fire TV's UI by going to Settings > Preferences > Language, this setting changes the Fire TV UI only, not the language in 3rd-party apps. The app a user downloads depends on the marketplace the user is in.)
More Information on Localizing Your App
For more information on localization, see these posts: