Build a Smart Home Skill
Step 1: Create a Smart Home Skill
Now that you have an overview of the tutorial steps and have fulfilled the prerequisites, you're ready to create a smart home skill. When you create a new smart home skill, you enable Alexa to invoke your skill to fulfill a user request to control a smart home device. In this step, you create a new smart home skill in the Alexa developer console. You configure the skill in later steps.
Create a new skill
In this step, you create a new skill, and then choose the smart home pre-built voice interaction model and backend resources.
To create a new smart home skill in the Alexa developer console
- If you haven't already, create an Amazon developer account.
- Sign in to the Alexa developer console.
- On the Skills tab, click Create Skill.
On the Create a new skill page, provide the following information:
- For Skill name, enter my-smart-home-skill.
- For Primary locale, choose English(US).
- For Choose a model to add to your skill, select Smart Home.
- For Choose a method to host your skill's backend resources, select Provision your own.
- In the upper-right corner, click Create skill.
- On the Smart Home page, under Smart Home service endpoint, find the skill ID for your new skill.
- Next to Your Skill ID, click Copy to Clipboard to save your skill ID.
- In a convenient place, such as Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac, paste the skill ID.
You use this value in Step 2: Implement the Skill Code .
You come back to the developer console to configure Smart Home service endpoint in Step 3: Configure the service endpoint. And, you come back to configure Account Linking in Step 4: Set up Account Linking.
Was this page helpful?
Last updated: Nov 22, 2023