Smart Home Skill Concepts
Before you implement smart home skills, you should understand the components of a smart home skill and when to use them. Then, review the smart home skill types that you can build. For details, see Smart Home Skill Types.
If you're ready to start building your skill, see Steps to Build a Smart Home Skill.
In this section
Before you build a smart home skill, review the following smart home concepts:
- Discovery – How Alexa discovers the customer's smart home devices.
- State and Change Reporting – How to include support for state and change reporting to keep Alexa informed about the current state of the device.
Send Events to the Alexa Event Gateway – How to request access to the Alexa event gateway and how to send events to the gateway.
- Develop Skills for Multiple Languages – Create smart home skills for Alexa that respond to customer utterances in different languages.
- Generic Controller Interfaces – General-purpose interfaces that you can use to model different components of a smart home device.
- Device Templates – Recommended sets of interfaces to implement for different types of devices.
- Real-Time Communications – Enable real-time streaming of audio and video between Alexa and your smart home device.
- Best Practices for the Alexa App – Best practices to support the Alexa app with your smart home skill.
- Migration Guide v2 to v3 – Update an existing smart home skill from version 2 to version 3 of the message format.