Smart Home Skill Types
Your smart home skill type reflects the capabilities of your device. You implement the smart home interfaces in your skill for the features that your device supports. Most skills implement multiple interfaces to enable voice interaction for multiple features. Some skills use the interfaces available to many kinds of devices, and some skills use interfaces specific to their device type.
Choose the interfaces for your device type
Usually you choose the most specific interface available to model components of your devices, because the more specific the interface, the more natural the utterances are for your user. For example, the user has a smart thermostat, named bedroom thermostat in the Alexa app. If you model the thermostat with the
Alexa.ModeController interface, the utterance is "Alexa, set the Thermostat Mode on the Bedroom Thermostat to automatic." If you model the thermostat with the
Alexa.ThermostatController interface, the utterance is "Alexa, set the Bedroom Thermostat to automatic.".
For recommendations about what interfaces to implement for common device types, see Smart Home Skill Device Templates.
Interfaces for any device type
Implement the Smart Home Skill APIs appropriate to control your smart home device. Return all supported capabilities in your discovery response.
Skills for specific device types
If you want to build a smart home skill for a specific category of devices, review the following topics:
- Smart Home Cooking Skills – Skills that control smart home kitchen and cooking appliances.
- Smart Home Energy Skills – Skills for devices that report energy usage and manage automation of devices that consume energy.
- Smart Home Entertainment Skills – Skills that control smart home entertainment and audio visual devices.
- Smart Home Networking and Wi-Fi Skills – Skills that that model a home Wi-Fi network and the devices connected to it.
- Smart Home Security Skills – Skills that control smart home security devices such as cameras, locks, motion sensors.
- Multi-Capability Smart Home Skills – Skills that supports native smart home and custom utterances.
- List of Alexa Interfaces and Supported Languages
- Smart Home Skill API Reference
- Smart Home Skill Concepts
Last updated: Sep 07, 2022