Product Design Overview
A successful product based on Alexa Connect Kit (ACK) is one that's easy for users to interact with by using natural voice control, using an on-device screen, or with the Alexa app. Use the following product design guidelines to make that sure interactions with your ACK-based product is as natural as possible.
Product development guidelines
Phase 2: Product design
In this phase, you define your product experience.
Defining your product experience primarily includes designing user interactions for your device, choosing the smart home capabilities and languages and regions you want to support, and selecting hardware options, such as your ACK module and host microcontroller unit (HMCU).
Choosing the correct hardware for your device is critical to support selected ACK features. Make sure your hardware can sufficiently power your device, support relevant peripheral interfaces, and can run the correct version of the ACK Device SDK that you need.
For example, to power a smart fan on and off, you can use the smart home
PowerController interface. You might also decide to release your product only in the United States. To get started building your product, you purchased the ACK Espressif development kit and one of the supported HMCU development kits. You started your development with the ACK Device SDK 4 that supports the necessary smart home capabilities you're looking for.
Define your product experience by completing the following tasks:
- Determine which smart home capabilities to support.
- Determine which regions and languages to support.
- Determine which product features to support.
- Define your device interactions.
Choose an ACK module:
- For prototyping and evaluation, purchase a ACK development kit, which contains an ACK module.
- For mass-production you can purchase ACK modules separately.
Choose a HMCU:
- For prototyping and evaluation, choose either:
- For final-product development, either:
- Define your product experience based on the requirements in the previous phases.
- Select the appropriate ACK module for your device and purchase ACK module samples or an ACK development kit for evaluation.
- Select the appropriate HMCU for your device and purchase the relevant HMCU samples or an ACK development kit for evaluation.
In this section
- Product Design Best Practices – Product design considerations for ACK-based devices.
- Smart Home Capability Interfaces – The smart home interfaces that ACK-based devices support.
- Regions and Languages – The languages and regions that ACK-based devices support.
- ACK Device Features – The features that ACK-based devices support.
- ACK Device Interactions – The device interactions of ACK-based devices.
Was this page helpful?
Last updated: Apr 06, 2021