What is an Alexa-Enabled Smart Home?
Amazon provides a set of development options that enable you to connect your smart home device to Alexa. You can expand your device capabilities to make it easy for users to interact with your device by using voice, as well as the Alexa app and Alexa-enabled devices with a screen.
What type of devices can I connect to Alexa?
You can connect almost any device to Alexa, such as lighting, appliances, thermostats, cameras. You decide how you want the user to interact with your device, and then, you implement the smart home interfaces that enable those interactions. Each interface defines a set of pre-built utterances to control the device. For examples of device capabilities and smart home interfaces, see Index of Device Capabilities.
You can connect your device to Alexa with any of the following development options:
- Hardware module on your device – Integrate the Alexa Connect Kit (ACK) hardware module into your product to add Alexa control to your device.
- Your cloud infrastructure – Build an Alexa smart home skill to control your cloud-connected devices.
- Alexa Built-in client – Control your device and device endpoints through the built-in Alexa Voice Service (AVS) client in your device.
- Local connection – Connect your device directly to an Alexa-enabled device over one of the wireless standard protocols, such as Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE), Matter, and Zigbee.
How do I get started?
You can build an Alexa-enabled smart home solution that best fits with the vision of your company. For details about the smart home development options and which one works for you, see Smart Home Development Options. If you know the option that works for you, to start building your solution, refer to the documentation under Connect Your Device to Alexa.
Or, work with experienced system integrators, original design manufacturers, and skill-building agencies to accelerate your time-to-market and reduce development costs. For a list of solution providers, see Alexa Solution Providers.
Works with Alexa
Works with Alexa (WWA) is a certification program that establishes your product's compatibility with Alexa and helps your customers have a better smart home experience. After your product receives product certification, you can apply for WWA certification.
When your products receive WWA certification, they can carry the Works with Alexa badge in the Amazon Smart Home store, on the Amazon retail site, and on product packaging. For details, see Works with Alexa Overview.
- To deploy and manage Alexa-connected devices at scale, in properties such as hotels, apartments, and senior living, consider Alexa Smart Properties.
- To create your own voice interaction model, consider Alexa Custom Skills.
Was this page helpful?
Last updated: Jan 26, 2024