Supported Countries (VSK Fire TV)
The following table lists the regional support for video skills for Fire TV apps.
|Country||Locale||Video Skill Available for Fire TV Apps|
AWS Regions and Video Skills
The AWS region for your Lambda function must match the requirements listed in the following table.
|Locale||Customer Region||AWS Region|
|en-US, en-CA, fr-CA, pt-BR, es-MX||North America||US East (N. Virginia)|
|en-GB, fr-FR, de-DE, it-IT, es-ES, en-IN, hi-IN||Europe||EU (Ireland)|
|ja-JP, en-AU||Far East (FE)||US West (Oregon)|
(In the locale abbreviations, the lowercase letters indicate the language, the uppercase indicate the region. For example, "fr-CA" refers to French-speaking Canada, whereas "en-CA" refers to English-speaking Canada.)
- What does it mean for video skills to be supported in other countries or locales?
- If video skills are supported for the country or locale, it means you can create video skills for Fire TV apps that are available in these countries or locales. The phrases that customers say in these countries or locales will be understood and processed by Alexa as directives passed to your Lambda. For example, if a video skill is supported in a Spanish-speaking country or locale, you can develop video skills for your Fire TV app in those countries or locales, and Alexa can understand and parse Spanish into a directive that gets sent to your Lambda function.
- Why can I already say Alexa video commands in unsupported countries or locales?
- Voice interactions with Amazon Prime Video titles are supported in countries/locales where third-party video skills might not be supported. For example, you might be able to say, "Alexa, Play Bosch" (a Prime video title) and your Fire TV could retrieve the title, whereas if you say "Alexa, Play House of Cards" (not a Prime Video title), Fire TV might not be able to retrieve the title. Additionally, some third-party apps in unsupported countries might have video skills as part of a beta program.
- What is a locale?
- A locale refers to the language used in a particular region, regardless of the country. For example, Canada has both en-CA (English) and fr-CA (French) locales.
- When will video skills be supported in all the countries and locales listed above?
- Timelines for support are not provided prior to the release in that region.
- What AWS region should I use for my country or locale?
- When you begin creating IAM roles and Lambda functions in AWS, you must select the AWS region required for video skills in your target country or locale. The regions are specified within the documentation (for example, see Step 6: Create and Deploy a Lambda Package.)
- What does public beta mean?
- For locales in public beta, the functionality works, and we expect to improve the coverage of content including programs, channels, actors, and movies. During public beta, functionality may be changed, improved, corrected, or discontinued as we receive feedback and iterate.