Amazon Appstore Content Policy Requirements
Before beginning the app submission process, make sure that your app adheres to the Amazon Appstore Content Policy guidelines. If your app violates these guidelines, your app will be rejected and not published to the Amazon Appstore.
Content Policy Guidelines
All apps submitted to the Amazon Appstore must adhere to the Content Guidelines that are described in this section. If Amazon determines that an app contains, facilitates, or promotes content that is prohibited by these guidelines, Amazon will reject the app submission or suspend further distribution of your app and notify you at the email address associated with your developer account.
- Offensive Content: What we deem offensive is probably about what you would expect. We reserve the right to determine the appropriateness of all apps and to accept or reject any app at our discretion. We also have discretion to publish content ratings for the apps.
- Pornography: We prohibit apps containing pornography or that depict graphic sexual acts or sexually explicit material. This includes full nudity contained in your application or marketing materials. We also don't allow content that drives traffic to pornography sites.
- Illegal Activity: Each app must comply with all applicable laws. We prohibit apps that promote or may lead to the production of an illegal item or illegal activity. Developers are responsible for researching to ensure that each app is in compliance with all local, state, national, and international laws.
- Gambling with Real Currency: We prohibit apps that allow customers to participate in gambling activities with real currency (currency with actual monetary value). This does not include simulated gambling activities using currency with no actual monetary value.
- Intellectual Property (IP) Infringement: Apps that infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party may not be distributed in our Program. See the [Appstore Publishing FAQ][app-submission/faq-submission#policy_intellectual_property] for further information about intellectual property. If your app includes from a third party, you will be asked to submit documentation that you hold the appropriate license or permission to use that IP in your app.
- Privacy/Publicity Infringement: We hold personal privacy in the highest regard. Therefore, we prohibit apps that infringe, or have the potential to infringe, upon an individual's privacy, right of publicity, or that portray an individual in a false light. Celebrity images and/or celebrity names cannot be used for commercial purposes without permission of the celebrity or their management. This includes unauthorized celebrity image collections.
- Country-Specific Restrictions: Some countries in which we sell our apps may have more restrictive standards than other countries for what qualifies as "Offensive Content," "Pornography," or "Illegal Activity." We may restrict any app or IAP item from sale in any country where the sale or distribution of that app's content would violate that country's laws, cultural norms, or sensitivities.
Examples of Amazon Appstore Content Policy Violations
This section gives specific examples of apps that violate the Amazon Appstore Content Policies and will be rejected by the Appstore. This list is not exhaustive, and the scenarios may change over time as new issues arise.
The following types of apps will be rejected from the Amazon Appstore for the given reasons:
- Contains references to or includes malicious hacking, such as phishing or Trojans, or has cracking content in the app or app metadata. This includes rooting a device, or circumventing Amazon's or any developer's digital rights management (DRM) software.
- Contains references to or includes malicious user spying or tracking, including stalking, in the app or app metadata.
- Mis-uses customer personally identifiable information or sensitive personal information.
- Purports to be affiliated with a financial institution but is not the official app of that financial institution.
- Purchasing and Currencies
- Offers a separate app store from the Amazon Appstore.
- Offers compensation for downloading or installing other apps, or for providing product reviews in the Amazon Appstore or another store. Examples of compensation may include digital goods, physical goods, or monetary transactions.
- Solicits donations from end users.
- Facilitates transaction of cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoins.
- Pornography and Sex
- Has images or animation that contain sexually explicit material and/or textual descriptions of sexual acts.
- Contains graphic depictions of extreme gore, decapitations, unsettling content, and/or excessive violence.
- Promotes organized crime, terrorism, or other illegal activities meant to undermine local and/or national governments or police.
- Religion, Ethnicity, and Culture
- Includes references to or information regarding forced marriages or purchasable husbands and/or wives.
- Purports to be able to predict gender.
- Contains derogatory comments or hate speech specifically targeting any group or individuals.
- Contains content that shows or promotes out-of-context quotations that mislead about the intentions of the figure being quoted.
- Contains Nazi symbols or other symbols of hate, promotes hate speech, incites racial or gender hatred, or promotes groups or organizations which support such beliefs such as the Ku Klux Klan.
- Trademarks, Intellectual Property, and Brands
- Implies sponsorship or endorsement by Amazon or otherwise mischaracterizes the relationship with Amazon.
- Infringes the intellectual property rights (including copyright, trademark and publicity rights) of a third party.
- Facilitates torrents, pirated software, or illegal downloads.
- Contains specific advice on how to join an illegal organization.
- Provides advice on how to begin or be involved in an illegal lifestyle, such as prostitution.
- Gives guidance on how create or build dangerous materials (e.g., how to build a bomb, silencer, meth lab, etc.)
- Promotes or praises terrorism, including detailing specific tactics or recruiting new members for terrorist groups.
- Contains illegal or controlled drug use.
- Contains false claims regarding medicine and/or prescription drugs—such as pills claiming to cure all diseases—or provides information about black market sales of prescription drugs.
- Enables end users to engage in gambling to win real money prizes or other tangible prizes that have an actual cash value.
- Promotes the sale of alcohol or tobacco, contains underage use of tobacco or alcohol, or promotes excessive use.
- Is not unique from other apps you’ve already submitted.
- Lacks an English product description (excluding apps that target only Germany, Japan, or China).
- Contains profanity aimed at children or profanity within child directed content.
- Contains malicious functionality, or is a prank app that does not disclose its prank functionality in its product description.
- Contains un-moderated user generated content.
- Lists the prices of IAP items or contains ASIN values in its metadata.
- Has an unreasonably high list price.