HTML5 Hybrid App Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What is the Amazon WebView API?
- The Amazon WebView API is a component library that developers can embed inside their applications to create hybrid mobile apps.
- Q: Why should I use Amazon WebView?
- AWV uses a custom build of Chromium that has been hardware-optimized and GPU-accelerated specifically for Fire tablets. Using AWV when targeting Fire tablets provides the following benefits:
- Hardware acceleration and GPU optimizations for CSS and canvas 2D/WebGL
- General bug fixes and page rendering improvements
- Support for Web Developer Tools that provide on-device debugging and profiling
- Q: Is Amazon WebView available on other devices?
- No, Amazon WebView is only available on 3rd and 4th generation Fire tablets. The Amazon WebView API provides the
awv_android_factory.jarto enable your app to default to the Android WebView when running on other Android devices.
- Q: What happens if I run my app on non-Fire devices?
- If the app includes only the
awv_interface.jarfile, the app fails with a
ClassNotFoundExceptionon non-Fire Android devices.
If the app also includes both the
awv_interface.jarfiles, the app defaults to the Android WebView when running on non-Fire Android devices.
- Q: Does the Silk browser use Amazon WebView?
- No, while both the Silk browser and Amazon WebView use the Chromium-based web runtime, they are not identical. The components may not always support the same features and your apps may not behave in the same way in the embedded environment and in the Silk browser.