Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality Device Purchase and Setup
Frustration-Free Setup (FFS) enables you to set up multiple Alexa-enabled devices by using a provisioner device. A provisioner device is a manually set up device from which Wi-Fi settings are automatically copied over to your other devices for quick setup. For more information, see Understanding Frustration-Free Setup.
You can use the following Amazon Echo devices with Alexa Smart Properties for hospitality:
- Amazon Echo (2nd, 3rd, 4th Generation)
- Amazon Echo Dot (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Generation)
- Amazon Echo Dot with Clock (3rd, 4th, 5th Generation)
- Amazon Echo Plus (2nd Generation)
- Amazon Echo Show 5 (1st, 2nd, 3rd Generation)
- Amazon Echo Show 8 (1st, 2nd Generation)
- Amazon Echo Show 15
- Amazon Echo Pop
Before setting up your devices, read the following tips:
- Read the Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality Networking Requirements and Best Practices.
- To set up the first device (provisioner device), you'll need a mobile device with the Alexa app installed.
- After you unpack a brand new device, plug it in and keep it connected for at least 15 minutes to download the latest firmware. If your device doesn't have the latest firmware, you can't assign the device to a room.
- As you unpack your Alexa devices, label each one with the last three characters of the device serial number (DSN) that's printed on the box. DSNs aren't printed on some devices, and clearly labeling them helps you keep track of them during setup and afterwards. You can also create identification tags that have the full DSN and barcode on the label.
- To keep all your Alexa devices within reach, set them up on one or two long tables and use power strips to plug them in. Consider purchasing extra power adapters.
- The first time you turn on an Alexa device, it automatically enters setup mode. If the device has been turned on previously, you can reset it. For details, see Reset Your Echo Device.
- Later on, when you assign the devices to rooms in the Alexa Smart Properties for hospitality management console, be sure to label each device with its room number to help ensure that the device remains in the correct room.
Set up devices using FFS
To set up devices using FFS, perform the following steps:
- Set up the first device (provisioner device) by using the Alexa app. For details, see Set Up Your Echo for devices without screens and Set Up Your Echo Show for devices with screens. You must log in to the Alexa app with the same Amazon Business account that you registered for use with Alexa Smart Properties for hospitality and that purchased your devices.
- In the Alexa app, verify that the first device appears online.
- Plug in the second device within range of the Wi-Fi router that you used to set up the provisioner device. Make sure that you plug in the second device within Bluetooth range of the provisioner device that you set up in step 1.
- Verify that the second device boots up, show the orange set-up light, and say "Your device is ready for setup, please follow the instructions in your Alexa app" followed by "Setting up your device."
- After the process is complete, the device is online and ready for use. The device appears in the Alexa Smart Properties for hospitality management console and in the response to
GET /v2/endpoints. You can also use the device as a provisioner for setting up other devices.
- You can repeat this process for additional devices by powering the additional devices up, and ensuring that they're within range of the Wi-Fi router and within Bluetooth range of at least one device that you previously set up.
- About Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality
- Get Started with Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality APIs
- Use the Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality Management Console
- Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality Networking Requirements and Best Practices
- About Managing Roles in Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality
- Manage Properties, Room Types, and Rooms
- Manage Skills in Alexa Smart Properties for Hospitality
Was this page helpful?
Last updated: Jul 05, 2023