Local Connection Requirements
If your device connects to Alexa through a third-party hub, bridge, or gateway, or through the built-in hub in Amazon Echo devices, you must meet the connection requirements to receive Works with Alexa (WWA) certification.
Bluetooth mesh requirements
If your product connects to Alexa by using the Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE) mesh protocol, your product must meet the following requirements before you apply for WWA certification. For more details about the BLE mesh protocol, see the Bluetooth Specification List.
- Your product must support BLE Mesh v1.1 and the following specifications:
- Mesh Profile 1.0.1
- Mesh Model 1.0.1
- Mesh Device Properties 1.1
- Mesh Configuration Database 1.0
- Your product must support Static Out-of-Band (OOB) data provisioning to add your device to the mesh.
For details about Static OOB authentication, see Section 5.4.2, Figure 5.12, Option 3c in the Mesh Profile 1.0.1 specification.
- You must complete Bluetooth SIG Qualification testing for your product.
- Your product must have a company identifier from Bluetooth Specifications Company Identifiers and a 16-bit hexadecimal product number that uniquely identifies the product within your company.
When a customer provisions your device with the Amazon Echo, the messages exchanged between your device and the Echo include these identifiers.
- You must provide your product information to Amazon.
- You must test your BLE-mesh integration with an Echo device.
Provide product information to Amazon
To display your device correctly in the Alexa app, provide the following product information to Amazon on the Alexa Developer Contact Us page:
- Your company identifier from Bluetooth Specifications Company Identifiers.
Provide the value found in the Decimal column of the table.
- Your product identifier.
Provide the 16-bit hexadecimal number that uniquely identifies the BLE-mesh device within your company.
- The manufacturer name that you want to display in the Alexa app.
- The model name of your device that you want to display in the Alexa app.
- The product description that you want to display in the Alexa app
- The display category to use in the Alexa app.
If your product connects to Alexa by using the Zigbee protocol, your product must meet the following requirements before you apply for WWA certification. For more details about the Zigbee protocol, see Zigbee Alliance Developer Resources.
- Your product must support Zigbee 3.0.
- Your product must support the Works with All Hubs (WWAHu) cluster. For details, see the All Hubs Initiative.
- You must test your Zigbee integration with an Echo Plus or an Echo 4th Gen device.
- You must test your Works with All Hubs cluster by using the test harness tool.
Note: WWA honors certification test results for the WWAHu cluster performed by Element Materials Technology. All additional test cases apply.