The distribution portal is now available to developers looking to sell their apps outside of the U.S. Apps will be made available for distribution in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain later this summer, with plans for further global expansion in the future. To prepare for this expansion, developers can now localize their apps by adding marketplace-specific pricing as well as language translations for your apps, in-app purchasable (IAP) items and subscriptions. We’ve also updated the design of the distribution portal, and optimized it to improve your experience when adding, updating, and reporting on your apps, IAP items and subscriptions. This post provides an overview of the steps to localize your app within the Distribution Portal.
Updating Your App Metadata
1. Within the distribution portal, choose the app that you want to edit and click on the app.
2. Confirm the countries where you’d like your apps to be made available by clicking on the Availability and Pricing tab in My Apps. This tab also lets you set list prices by marketplace. Developers allowing Amazon to sell apps internationally are responsible for ensuring their apps comply with all applicable export and import restrictions and the laws of the countries in which the apps are sold.
3. Set the list price for each marketplace by setting the base list price and the currency of the list price. Unlike the U.S., the list prices that you set for each E.U. marketplace should be your suggested price inclusive of any VAT or similar taxes. These taxes are deducted from the list price when calculating royalties. If you do not set unique list prices for each marketplace, Amazon will calculate the list prices for you based on current exchange rates.
4. Provide translated descriptions for app detail pages by navigating to the Description tab, editing the English (U.S.) description, and then choosing the option to add a new language. Languages available include English (U.K.), German, French, Italian and Spanish. You will be able to add language translations for the app title, short and long description, keywords, and product feature bullets.
5. You will be able to go back and edit any of the above until you hit submit. Once you submit your app, it will be in the review state, and you will not be able to edit your app.
Updating In-App Items and Subscriptions
First find the related app, and then navigate to the IAP items or subscriptions. Follow the same process for setting availability, list prices and description.
Updating Your Binary File
1. From within the app you want to edit, click the Add Upcoming Version link.
2. Within the Binary tab, you can now select the locales which you support. You can display localized versions of any string in your app or any sound or graphic by leveraging localization best practices and using resource files to provide the appropriate translation or asset. If you have already provided an APK that supports multiple languages, you will not need to take any action.
3. You will be able to go back and edit any of the above until you hit submit. Once you submit your app, it will be in the review state, and you will not be able to edit your app.
With the launch of app availability in new countries, our reporting will split sales, earnings, and payments by marketplace. In addition, new payment reporting will enable you to track when a payment was made and the amount by marketplace.
For more information on international distribution, read our FAQs.