One question developers commonly ask us is how they can grow their business by introducing their app to new Amazon customers. The Amazon team is here to help. Each day this week we’ll offer a tip on how to market your app on Amazon.
Marketing Tip #1: Start with your best foot forward. Write an effective app title and description.
The title and description of your app is a key opportunity to impress potential customers. By writing an effective description, you can generate excitement about your app and increase the number of customer downloads of your app. This is your chance to sell your app to customers!
The title is the first thing a customer sees and may even be the term they searched on. It appears at the very top of the product detail page, right above your company name.
- Keep it simple. Don’t include extraneous marketing verbiage such as “MyAppTitle – the best most greatest app in the whole wide world and beyond!!!!!!!!”
- Make it readable. Unless your app has special capitalization (PicSay, SwiftKey, SeekDroid), capitalize the first and last words of the title, no matter what part of speech. Between those words, capitalize each word except for coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or, nor, and for), articles (the, a, an), and prepositions of four or fewer letters.
- Be concise. No more than 100 characters—it’s a title, not a Tweet!
- Be clear. If your app has multiple versions, let your customer know by calling it out in the title (e.g., Premium, Pro, Lite, Donate, Free).
The description provides you the opportunity to sell your customer on downloading/purchasing your app. Consider your audience. Who is your app’s target customer? Make sure the customer knows you are speaking to their interests. What is your app’s point of differentiation? What are the key features of the app? Let customers know why this app is special and something they would enjoy or need.
Check out the recommendations we shared with you last year here on the blog for writing an effective description.
- Always use proper punctuation and grammar.
- Introduce your app clearly and succinctly.
- Describe your app's most notable features.
- Use conversational language.
- Think about your target customer and highlight features that will appeal to that customer.
- Explain how and why your app will benefit users.
- Show off—don't forget to include the attributes that make your app stand out and feel free to do so in detail.
- Refer to your app only as "this app" or "an app"—use your app's full name at least once in your product description
- Make false, hyperbolic claims—this type of marketing rarely works and may hurt your app in the long run
- Just write one single sentence—there's more to your app
- Simply list your app's features, explain why these features are awesome and worth adding to a customer’s app collection
- Exercise atypical or inappropriate language that could mislead or confuse customers
- Use excess punctuation that could distract from the information you are conveying.
Editing App Descriptions from the Distribution Portal
1) To edit your app description from the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Portal, navigate to the My Apps tab.
2) Select the app you'd like to edit and navigate to the Description tab for that app.
3) Edit your app description and save it.