The Amazon Pay API section helps you to process payments for purchases made by buyers on your website using the Amazon Pay service. This API section enables you to programmatically retrieve shipping and payment information provided by the buyer from their Amazon account. It allows you to authorize, capture, and refund payments, enabling a variety of payments scenarios.
Note: The Amazon Pay API section is only applicable to payments made through the Amazon Pay service offered by Amazon Pay. You cannot use this API section to process payments for Amazon Marketplace, Amazon Webstore, or Checkout by Amazon.
Using the Amazon Pay API section of Amazon Marketplace Web Service (Amazon MWS), you can:
- Create and manage a billing agreement to secure the buyer's permission to charge their selected payment method on a recurring basis without requiring their permission each time. You typically do not need a billing agreement if your buyers will visit your site each time they place an order or if you do not need to enable automatic payments. With a billing agreement, you can:
- Obtain the shipping information from the buyer so that you can calculate shipping charges and tax for automatic payments.
- Obtain information about the amount that you are allowed to charge a buyer each month using Amazon Pay.
- Set the description and other optional information about the automatic payment.
- Confirm the billing agreement after the buyer has signed up for automatic payments on your site.
- Close the billing agreement if you or the buyer want to terminate the automatic payment relationship.
- Create and manage a limited representation of an order, hereafter referred to as an order reference or Order Reference object, through the Amazon Pay service. With an order reference, you can:
- Obtain shipping information from the buyer so you can calculate shipping charges and tax.
- Set the amount, description, and other optional information for the order.
- Confirm the order after the buyer has finished placing an order on your website.
- Cancel the order at the request of either the buyer or yourself.
- Close the order after it has been processed and completed.
- Programmatically authorize, capture, and refund money for purchases made by the buyer at your website.
For Amazon Pay to process the payment, you are required to submit the total amount to be charged, as well as the corresponding currency, to Amazon Pay. Beyond that, no data needs to be transferred to Amazon Pay. You can choose to supplement the transaction details with information like your own order ID, however, so that Amazon Pay can include it in your reports (for example, settlement reports), making it easier for you to process these documents. Adding this information is optional and does not affect the transaction in any way.
For more information about integrating your website with the Amazon Pay product, see the Amazon Pay and Login with Amazon integration guide.