Register a Product with AVS
This tutorial teaches you how to register an Alexa Voice Service (AVS) Built-in device with the Amazon developer portal. You complete the following activities in this tutorial:
- Create an Amazon developer account.
- Register an AVS built-in device.
- Set up your security profile.
When finished, you download the required security credentials to connect your device to AVS.
Create an Amazon developer account
Create a free developer account at developer.amazon.com. If you already have an account, you can skip this step.
Create a product
After you've created an Amazon developer account, you create a product and security profile. This authenticates your software client so it can connect to AVS.
To create a product
Log in to the AVS dashboard.
If this is your first time registering a product, you see a welcome screen. Click GET STARTED.
- Click PRODUCTS.
- Click ADD NEW PRODUCT.
Fill in product information
You now must fill in your product information. This information identifies your device with AVS.
To fill in your product information
- Choose a Product Name. For example, AVS Tutorials Project.
- Choose a Product ID. For example, PrototypePi. Don't use any spaces in your product name.
- In the Please Select Your Product Type dropdown, select Device with Alexa built-in.
- For Will your device use a companion app?, choose No.
- In the Product Category dropdown, select Other (please specify).
- Write a meaningful description in the Brief product description box. For example, Prototype.
- Under How will users interact with your product?, select Hands-free.
- Skip the Upload an image step. This isn't required for prototyping.
- Under Do you intend to distribute this product commercially?, select No.
- Under Will your device be used for Alexa for Business?, select No.
- Under Is this device associated with one or more AWS IoT Core Accounts?, select No.
- Under Is this a children’s product or is it otherwise directed to children younger than 13 years old?, Select No.
- Click NEXT.
Set up your AVS security profile
A login with Amazon (LWA) security profile associates your security credentials with your product.
To set up your security profile
- Click CREATE NEW PROFILE.
- Under Security Profile Name, enter a relevant name. For example, AVS Tutorials Project.
- Under Security Profile Description, enter a relevant description. For example, AVS Tutorials
- Click NEXT. Your Security Profile ID generates.
- Select the Other devices and platforms tab.
- Under Client ID name, enter a relevant name. For example, Prototype.
- Click Generate ID.
- Click Download.
This downloads your config.json file that contains your AVS credentials. Save the file to your
/home/pidirectory. If you are creating this profile from a different PC, you must transfer it to your Raspberry Pi.
- Read the Amazon terms and conditions. If you agree, check the I agree to the AVS agreement and the AVS Program Requirements box.
- Click FINISH. Congratulations! You now have access to AVS.
- A pop-up appears. Click OK. You can now view your device on your AVS dashboard.
The following screenshots highlight the important steps described in the previous section.
Optional: Enable your security profile for commercial distribution
- Open a web browser, and visit https://developer.amazon.com/lwa/sp/overview.html.
- Near the top of the page, select the commercial device security profile you created earlier from the drop-down menu and click the CONFIRM button.
- Optional. Upload an image. It displays on the Login with Amazon consent page.
- Click SAVE.