Alexa Auto Marketing and Brand Guidelines
The purpose of this page is to provide Alexa Automotive-specific resources to developers integrating Alexa into vehicles, with connected car skills, or into automotive aftermarket devices and accessories. This resource is intended to be used as a supplemental material to the overall AVS Marketing and Branding Guidelines for Alexa Built-in Products, and to help you navigate the Amazon requirements for using our brand assets, including trademarks and logos. Follow all outlined requirements in order to retain the right to use the Amazon Alexa logo and branding assets.
Should you have additional questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marketing material approval process for auto devices
- Audio/video acoustic fingerprint guidelines
- Using a crowdfunding campaign?
- How to talk about Alexa Automotive
- Marketing Alexa Auto aftermarket devices
- Other resources
Marketing material approval process for auto devices
Your use of Amazon Alexa assets is subject to, and you agree to be bound by, the Amazon Developer Services Agreement.
For approvals, please send all materials and information about the campaign (dates, audience, regions, channels) to email@example.com.
Before submitting materials for approval, please review the following checklist:
- Did you review the AVS Marketing and Branding Guidelines for Alexa Built-in Products?
- Did you include the appropriate Alexa Badge?
- Did you include the appropriate Amazon Alexa disclaimer?
- If your materials are showing a driver, please ensure that the driver has their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel or handlebars.
- All Alexa utterances used in your creative are in the right format and have been tested and validated to ensure that they work as expected.
- If your materials are showing an Echo Device, please pull from the available Alexa Devices images.
Audio/video acoustic fingerprint guidelines
A fingerprint is a known utterance of the wake word "Alexa", against which new utterances are judged. Amazon maintains a library of Alexa fingerprints uttered during television shows, radio broadcasts, and other scenarios which are not intended to actually wake a device. When a device hears a wake word stored in the library, Alexa ignores it.
Help ensure your Alexa Built-in device wakes only when intended by adhering to the acoustic fingerprint guidelines below:
- If using the wake word "Alexa" in audio marketing, do not place it at the beginning of the ad.
- Do not pause after saying the wake word.
- Do not confirm a purchase if you are using a shopping utterance in your audio.
- For TV and radio ads, if you are using a wake word, ensure that the three seconds immediately preceding it have distinguishable audio content at a volume similar to that of the wake word.
To help us enhance the acoustic fingerprint library and lessen the chance that a wake word will mistakenly activate a device, submit the following information with your marketing materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide at least 10 business days in advance of release:
- Broadcast medium (TV, radio, online)
- Estimated audience size (e.g. 10 million views)
- Schedule (release date, when broadcast airing starts/stops)
Using a crowdfunding campaign?
Alexa Auto will not approve crowdfunding campaigns on sites such as Kickstarter or Indiegogo until a prototype of the Alexa-enabled device has achieved Alexa Auto Certification. Once a device prototype has been certified, crowdfunding campaign materials that mention Alexa should be submitted to email@example.com four weeks prior to launch of the campaign. Materials may include, but are not limited to, written content, video footage, and still images.
If approval is not explicitly granted by Alexa Auto, we will ask that you remove the campaign from the crowdfunding site per the Alexa Device Requirements, part of the Amazon Developer Services Agreement that applies to all devices.
How to talk about Alexa Automotive
Whether you're a developer or an automaker, there are approved ways to talk about Alexa. Which you use depends on your integration and device type.
How to talk about Alexa aftermarket devices or embedded OEM solutions
Alexa short description— "You can talk to Amazon Alexa [on your Product Name/in your Vehicle Name]. With Alexa, you can ask to play music, hear the news, check weather, control smart home devices, and more."
Alexa long description, hands-free— "You can talk to Amazon Alexa [on your Product Name/in your Vehicle Name]. With Alexa, you can ask to play music, hear the news, check the weather, control smart home devices, and more. Alexa lives in the cloud, so it’s always getting smarter, adding new capabilities that are delivered to your device automatically. Using Alexa [on your Product Name/in your Vehicle Name] is simple and hands-free – just ask, and Alexa will respond instantly."
Alexa long description, push-to-talk— "You can talk to Amazon Alexa [on your Product Name/in your Vehicle Name]. With Alexa, you can ask to play music, hear the news, check weather, control smart home devices, and more. Alexa lives in the cloud, so it’s always getting smarter, adding new capabilities that are delivered to your device automatically. Using Alexa [on your Product Name/in your Vehicle Name] is simple – just tap-and-ask, and Alexa will respond instantly."
How to talk about Alexa Connected Car Skills— "From the comfort of your home, use the [Automaker Skill Name] connected car skill to remotely control your [Automaker Brand] vehicle. Just by asking, you can remotely lock/unlock your doors, start/stop the engine, find out how much fuel you have left, and more." Please confirm full functionality of your skill and adjust this description accordingly.
How to talk about Alexa Connected Car Skills and Alexa in the vehicle, combined— "There are two ways to enjoy Amazon Alexa with your [Vehicle Name]. While inside your [Vehicle Name], you can ask to play music, place calls, listen to audiobooks, hear the news, check the weather, control smart home devices, get directions, find parking, and more – all while you keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. From the comfort of your home, use the [Automaker Skill Name] connected car skill on your Alexa Built-in device to remotely control your [Automaker Brand] vehicle. Just by asking Alexa, you can remotely lock/unlock your doors, start/stop the engine, find out how much fuel you have left, and more."
When placing this information on your website, we recommend that you include the following links for next steps, when applicable:
- "Download the Alexa + [Automaker Brand] Smartphone App [link to Appstore download]." (If applicable.)
- "Enable the [Automaker Brand] Connected Car Alexa Skill [link to Alexa Skill page]."
Note: Ensure that you do not have any referral tags or syntax in your URLs. Here is an example of a properly formatted URL: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9HN9Q5
How to use Alexa in Social Media
Alexa Auto is currently active on four social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. The primary way to post about Alexa Auto on these platforms is to tag the appropriate handle on each, as follows:
- Facebook: @AmazonAlexaAuto
- Twitter: @AlexaAutomotive
- LinkedIn: Alexa Auto
- Instagram: @AlexaAutomotive
- Hashtag: #AlexaAuto
You are encouraged to mention the #AlexaAuto hashtag in social media posts. Amazon does not use the #Alexa or #Echo hashtags in our social copy and would encourage you to avoid those.
Marketing Alexa Auto aftermarket devices
- How to title your integration— "[Automaker Brand] + [Product Name] + with Amazon Alexa Built-in", (e.g. Acme Widget with Amazon Alexa Built-in).
- How to title your device on an Amazon.com product listing page— Please use the following format for your product listing title: "[Automaker Brand] + [Product Name] + Alexa Built-in + [packaging type, if applicable] + [color/style/size, if applicable]." See all Amazon.com Product Detail Page rules.)
- How to describe your product’s integration with Alexa— Refer to your product’s integration with Alexa as "Alexa Built-in”: "[Product Name] with Alexa Built-in".
- How to describe how to interact with Alexa— Refer to your product's integration with Alexa as “Alexa Built-in.” For example, “[Product Name] has Alexa Built-in, so you can just ask…” See the How to talk about Alexa section above.
- Alexa Built-in with AVS Marketing Guidelines
- AVS Marketing Opportunities
- Amazon Developer Services Agreement
- Alexa Automotive website
- If you are not yet selling on Amazon.com, please sign up with Seller Central