Alexa Client Library (VSK FTV)
The Alexa Client Library is a Java API that you add to your Android project in your video skill integration with your Fire TV app. The Alexa Client Library enables authentication with LWA, automatic pairing with Echo, management of lifecycle events, sending Alexa responses to directives received in your app. More details about the Alexa Client Library provided in Step 3: Integrate the Alexa Client Library.
Download the Alexa Client Library
Javadocs for Alexa Client Library
To see the Javadoc for the Alexa Client Library, you can view it online here or open the Javadoc folder within the zip download.
Integrate the Alexa Client Library into Android Studio
If you are using Gradle with Android Studio, you can integrate Alexa Video Skill Client Library using the Android Archive (AAR) file contained in the released SDK. To add the Alexa Video Skill Client Library (
AlexaClientLib.aar) into your project in Android Studio, do the following:
- Download the Alexa Client Library. After downloading the file, unzip it. The zip contains a file called
- In your Android Studio project, go to File > New > New Module.
- Select Import .JAR/.AAR Package and click Next.
- In the File name field, select the
AlexaClientLib.aarfile and click Open, and then click Finish.
- Go to File > Project Structure.
- Under Modules in the left menu, select app.
- Go to Dependencies tab.
- If you don't already see AlexaClientLib in the list of dependencies, click the + button in the bottom and select 3. Module dependency.
- Select the AlexaClientLib from the list.
Update an Existing Version of the Alexa Client Library
To update an existing version of the Alexa Client Library, first remove the existing AlexaClientLib module:
- Download the Alexa Client Library. After downloading the file, unzip it. The zip folder contains a file called
- In Android Studio, right-click the AlexaClientLib module and select Reveal in Finder.
- Open the AlexaClientLib folder.
- Drag in the new
AlexaClientLib.aarfile, replacing the existing one.
Release notes for the latest versions of the Alexa Client Library are provided below.
Released August 29, 2019
- Update discovered capabilities version for KeypadController to "version 3"
- Only send status changed reports on status change
Released Jul 3 2019
- Provides support for Fire OS 7. New Fire TV devices will run on Fire OS 7, so your app needs this version of the Alexa Client Library to support FOS 7 devices. Older versions of the Alexa Client Library are not compatible with FOS 7.
- Includes fixes to bugs that will help drive a better experience to customers when using voice.
- Enhances the security in the relationship between Alexa, Fire TV, and your application.
Released Apr 19, 2019
- Removed call to
Build.getSerial()to prevent crashing.
- Security enhancements.
Released Feb 12, 2019
- Fixed bug that could cause client library to retry failed events with no backoff.
Released Oct 9, 2018
- Add internationalization support to the client library. Specifically, it will automatically target the "correct" regional Alexa endpoint based on the customer currently registered to the device.