Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get started with AVS?
Start by reading Getting Started with AVS, which details how to call the Alexa Voice Service cloud API from your device.
What does my product need to integrate with AVS?
You can add AVS to any device with a microphone, a speaker, and an internet connection. Learn more about supported implementations with [Designing for AVS][avs-designing-for-avs].
What can customers do with AVS on my product today?
Alexa includes access to information, music, audiobooks, news, weather, traffic and more, including any custom skills you create to differentiate your device using the Alexa Skills Kit. Today, your customers can:
- Ask their device all kinds of questions, like math problems or facts about famous people, dates and places
- Stay informed on the news with Flash Briefing, a customizable news feed that includes podcasts and headlines from sources like ABC News, Good Morning America, Fox Sports and more…
- Play and buy music by artist, song, album or genre from Amazon Music
- Explore Prime Music, which provides unlimited, ad-free access to over a million songs, hundreds of playlists and personalized stations – free with Amazon Prime
- Enjoy podcasts, music and live radio from iHeartRadio
- Listen to their favorite podcasts and live radio stations from TuneIn
- Listen to audiobooks from Audible using their Audible or Kindle Unlimited subscription
- Add items to their To-Do and Shopping lists
- Get traffic updates for their daily commute
- Check the weather in their home town or in other locations around the world
- Access millions of Wikipedia articles
- Check appointments or weekend plans in Google Calendar
- Listen to jokes
- Play Simon Says
- Hunt for fun Easter Eggs, like “Alexa, I am your father”
- Set voice triggers for recipes created in If This Then That (IFTTT)
- Access new capabilities that you and other developers create using the Alexa Skills Kit
- Use the free Alexa companion app (available on Fire OS, Android, iOS and desktop browsers) to easily manage music, shopping lists, To-Do lists and more.
- Set timers and alarms.
- Control volume, media playback (e.g. Amazon Music, Audible, etc.), as well as manage timers and alarms using the Amazon Alexa app.
- Get the latest scores and schedules for your favorite sports teams.
Which smart home devices are supported by AVS-enabled products?
AVS customers can now control supported Wink, SmartThings and Insteon enabled devices. For a list of supported products, see Alexa Smart Home. For information about building your own skill, see Smart Home Skill API.