A few months ago we shared a free video course on Alexa development by A Cloud Guru, a pioneering serverless education company in the cloud space. Today, we’re excited to announce a new advanced course on Alexa skill building instructed by Alexa Champion Oscar Merry for A Cloud Guru. As the co-founder and head of technology at Opearlo, a voice design agency, Oscar has extensive experience with the Alexa Skills Kit (ASK). He has worked with the technology since November 2015, designing and building skills for clients across a number of industries and use cases. He’s also been giving back to the community and sharing his ASK knowledge by running the London Alexa Devs meetup since July 2016.
In this Advanced Alexa Skills Kit course, Oscar gets you started with the ASK SDK for Node.js and shares a practical project that any meetup organizer can implement to use Alexa as their event assistant.
Here is what you can expect to learn in this 7-hour course in 18 lessons:
- This advanced ASK course will walk you through getting started with the Alexa Skills Kit, setting up the ASK SDK for Node.js, and speeding up the development process with services like AWS CLI.
- Then, with the Voice Devs project, you’ll learn how to create a basic skill that gives people information about upcoming Alexa developer meetups, showcasing a wide range of Alexa capabilities.
- The course will show you how to use simple intents, how to add Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML) audio, and how to build complex conversations between Alexa and your user. The videos will cover advanced topics, such as persistent database storage with Amazon DynamoDB, stage management for skills with multiple functionalities, and account linking.
- You will also learn how to integrate the Meetup API in your skill in order to access information about Alexa meetups.
- The videos will demonstrate Alexa’s audio streaming functionality and show you how to host podcast episodes in an Amazon S3 bucket and play them in your skill.
- The instructor will show you how to track the usage of your Alexa skills by implementing the Opearlo Analytics tool.
- Finally, the course will show how you can add multiple languages in your custom Alexa skills to make them available to users who interact with Alexa in a particular language (US or UK English, German).
“Voice technology is transforming computing. Now is the time to get started building skills for Alexa! I’m excited for developers to learn from this course and to implement more complex features to provide richer experiences to their users.” – Oscar Merry, co-founder of Opearlo, the voice design agency
Watch the course for free today.
More about A Cloud Guru
A Cloud Guru is a learning platform built by AWS and cloud services experts with first-hand experience building scalable cloud solutions. Their training courses are designed to be short and succinct (only 5-20 minutes). They have an active community of over 140,000 passionate techies that share their experiences on their free discussion forums and blogs. Feel free to join their community to get access to thousands of peers to help answer your questions and help you be a cloud guru.
Dive deeper with Alexa development
Check out these Alexa developer resources: