Quick Reference: Create a Smart Home Skill for Alexa
The following resources help you build skills for smart home devices such as cameras, lights, locks, thermostats, smart TVs, and so on.
- Concepts and procedures
- API reference
- Sample code
- Blog posts
- Videos, podcasts, and webinars
- Twitch streams
Concepts and procedures
- Understand the Smart Home Skill API – The technical documentation that describes the Smart Home Skill API and how to use it.
- Steps to Build a Smart Home Skill – The steps to build a skill that controls smart home devices.
- Create a Skill and Choose the Interaction Model – An overview of how to create a skill using the developer console, and a list of links to the remaining steps that you need to take to configure and build your skill.
- Capability Interface Message Guide – A topic that describes the structure of messages that your smart home skill and Alexa exchange, and links to the API reference pages for building skills for smart home devices.
- Smart Home GitHub repository – A repository that contains sample code and resources for Alexa smart home skill developers.
- Coding Smart Home Skill Adapter Directives Using Node.js – A walkthrough of how to manage the code workflow for a smart home skill adapter using Node.js and an overview of the fundamentals of the directive language, the communication protocol, and the Smart Home Skill API.
- Creating Your First Alexa Smart Home Skill – The steps that you take to create a smart home skill.
- Five Steps Before Developing a Smart Home Skill – The five prerequisites to building a smart home skill, including setting up account linking, initializing skill creation, creating an AWS Lambda function, configuring the skill, and finalizing account linking.
- Fundamentals of Smart Home Device Control, Including On/Off State – A technical walkthrough of how to control devices with the Smart Home Skill API.
- Introducing Smart Home Camera Control with Alexa – A discussion about how to use the Smart Home Skill API to enable users to view live video feeds from their smart home cameras on Echo Show.
- Managing Device Discovery for Your Alexa Smart Home Skill – A discussion of how device discovery works, how users experience it, and how to interpret information from a device.
- Test Your Smart Home Skill API Responses with Our New Validation Package – A description of how you can use the Smart Home Skill API Validation Package to debug smart home skills.
- Tips for a Successful Alexa Smart Home Skill Certification – The common pitfalls in smart home skill certification and how to avoid them.
- Use Alexa Skill Metrics Dashboard to Improve Smart Home and Flash Briefing Skill Engagement – An overview of how to use the skill metrics dashboard to analyze key engagement metrics for flash briefing and smart home skills.
Videos, podcasts, and webinars
- Smart Home with Charlie Kindel – A discussion about the launch of the Smart Home Skill API and solutions that developers are building.
- Alexa Smart Home Partner Network with Zach Parker – A discussion about smart home product innovations, new customer experiences, and current smart home industry trends.
- VOD: Alexa Smart Home - Virtual Switch with C# – A live coding of a virtual switch in C#.
- VOD: Alexa Smart Home - Virtual Switch with Java – A live coding of a virtual switch in Java.
- VOD: Alexa Smart Home - Virtual Switch with Python – A live coding of a virtual switch in Python.
- Alexa Smart Home API – A webinar about the cooking capabilities of the Smart Home Skill API, including how to create and send commands to a virtual microwave.