1. Is Amazon really paying Alexa game skill developers?
Yes. We are exploring new ways to reward our developers. Starting May 2017, we are offering game skill developers the opportunity to earn money based on customer usage.
2. How does it work?
We will identify top game skills to reward each month. If your skill qualifies, you will be notified by email. To be eligible for payment, you will need to ensure that your payment and tax information is updated in the Amazon Developer Portal.
3. How much will I get paid?
Payment is based on your skill's customer usage. The email you receive from the Alexa team will include the details of your payment amount.
4. How do you measure customer usage?
Customer usage could be measured using a variety of metrics, such as minutes of usage, new customers, and other measures of engagement.
5. Why are you only rewarding game skill developers?
We are starting by rewarding game skill developers because game skills are not only fun and delightful but also represent some of the most engaging experiences on Alexa for our customers.
6. What does it take for my skill to be eligible?
We will select skills to be rewarded from among the top performing game skills correctly categorized in the "Games, Trivia, & Accessories" category.
7. How do I set up payment information?
You can add your payment and tax information to your Amazon developer account by following the steps below:
- Log in to developer.amazon.com and under the Settings section go to the Payment information tab. Or, click Payment information.
- Select Yes to the question: “Do you plan to monetize your digital content, such as charging for apps or games or selling in-app items or in-game items, or by receiving cash rewards for your skills?"
- Complete your payment information.
- Under the Settings section, go to the Tax identity tab. Or, click Tax identity.
- Update the details in the Royalty Tax Identity Interview section.
8. When will I get paid?
Payments will be issued no later than the last day of the month you receive the notification that you are eligible for payment.
9. What happens if I do not provide my payment and tax information?
You need to provide your payment and tax information within 90 days of your notification regarding the reward. If you do not fill in this information by the above timeline, you will forfeit your reward. For example, for the notification in July, you must provide payment and tax information by October.
10. Will I continue to receive payments every month?
We will evaluate customer usage on a monthly basis and make payments accordingly. As we continue to explore new ways to reward our skill developers, we may modify or discontinue these payments at any time.
11. I have skills in the US, UK, and DE, am I eligible to receive payments for each?
Yes. If you have skills supported in the US, UK and DE, and they are selected as a top performer, you will receive separate payments for each.