Note: Effective 08-26-2015 Free App of the Day (FAD) has been replaced with Amazon Underground.
One of the most high-profile features of the Amazon Appstore for Android is the free paid app of the day, or FAD. The primary benefit to you of having your app selected for a FAD spot is increased visibility. First off, there’s the 24 hours of visibility both on mobile and online. Each FAD promotion is complemented by a Facebook post and Twitter tweet the same day. After your app’s time in the FAD spotlight is over, it benefits from being included in the “Most Recent Free Apps of the Day” shoveler on the Amazon Appstore for Android homepage.
In addition to this direct visibility, your app will continue to get post-FAD exposure throughout the store. Because of the increase in app downloads typically associated with FAD, you app is more likely to show up on the product detail pages of other apps in the “Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought” feature. The recommendations engine is one of Amazon’s strongest shopping features, helping connect customers with the right items across multiple categories. FAD apps also tend to register higher in Amazon Appstore for Android Bestsellers lists.
Apps that can be launched on Android exclusively at the Amazon Appstore for Android or that offer something extra to Amazon customers that they can’t get anywhere else make for particularly intriguing FADs. Developers with strong brands and a solid portfolio are eligible for multiple FAD inclusions. For some high-profile apps and games, we may send an e-mail to our customer base.
If you’re interested in recommending your app for FAD promotion, there are a few things to remember:
1. Only the most recent version of an app will be considered, and your app should appeal to a wide audience.
2. To maintain a positive customer download experience for non-wifi apps, only apps of 20MB or less will be considered, and no “stub” apps that require additional content download will be considered.
3. We want to make sure customers know which devices the app will work on, so the app must pass Amazon’s internal testing.
If you’re interested in recommending your regularly paid app for FAD promotion, please completely fill out the Marketing Proposal Form. Pay particular attention to the Proposal Description field, sharing any additional details you believe would help elevate your app in the selection process. In addition, let us know:
1. How many downloads your app has to date.
2. The list price of your app.
3. Any reciprocal marketing (social media, blogs, Amazon Appstore badging, etc.) you are able to offer.
4. That you understand the requirements for approval.
Our FAD calendar fills up quickly, so be sure to submit your proposal early. Letting us know about an app launch weeks or even months in the future will help us plan accordingly.
If your app is a contender, someone will contact you to offer more details about FAD inclusion and what to expect as your app goes through the approval process. You will only be contacted if your marketing request is under consideration. Please enter a specific marketing request only once.
Free app of the day – it’s more than just a passing FAD.