Test for False Alarm Rate
An Alexa Built-in device should only respond to the wake word. In the "False Alarm Rate" (FAR) test, you assess the number of times a device incorrectly awakes in 24 hours.
- Test room configuration
- Test steps
- Submit your results
These instructions are only for the Device Under Test (DUT). You do not need to test the Echo Dot for False Alarm Rate. (If you wish to evaluate FAR for the Echo Dot, either (a) test the Echo DoT after testing the DUT, OR (b) create a second Amazon account for use by the Echo Dot, enabling you to test the DUT and Echo Dot together in the same 24 hours. Please double-check that each device is registered with a different account.
Test room configuration
The location of the Noise Speaker remains in the same position as in your FRR and RAR tests. During FAR testing, the Speech Speaker is not used, and you can leave it wherever it currently is.
For full instructions, see Setting up your Test Environment.
Prepare the test environment
- Turn up the Speech Speaker volume loud enough to ensure the device has no trouble hearing the utterance from the Speech Speaker:
- On the Speech Laptop, play the FAR test audio file (FARTest.wav).
- Adjust the Speech Laptop volume level so that the SPL value is around 70 dBC when measured at the microphone array of the device. (This does not need to be precise.)
- Reset the audio file to its start, then pause.
- Ensure that the device is able to respond to an utterance. (Simply say, "Alexa, what time is it?")
Test at each speech speaker location
- Note what time it is, and then say "Alexa, add Starting FAR test at (the current time) to my ToDo List." (If the device fails to indicate that it handled the utterance, address the problem and restart from the beginning of these FAR test steps.)
- Start playing the FAR test audio file.
- Open the "FAR" tab of the Scoresheet.
- In the table, enter the date and time you started the test.
- If you used the same account for the rest of the tests, you can copy the value from the "Information" tab. However, if you used another account for the FAR test, you need to look up the serial number corresponding to that account.
- After 24 hours have passed, say "Alexa, add Stopping FAR test at (the current time) to my ToDo List."
- In the "FAR" tab table, enter the date and stop time.
View the results
To pass False Alarm Rate testing, ensure your device meets the following criteria:
|FAR - Wake Word False Alarm Rate||3 or fewer wakes in a 24-hour period|
See Amazon's passing criteria for all acoustic tests.
Submit your results
If you've successfully completed all testing and your metrics illustrate passing criteria, email your results to AVS-Certification-Labs@amazon.com. We'll review your scoresheets and confirm your results. If they are successful, you will be approved to ship devices to Amazon for testing. For more details, review our full Testing and Certification Process.