The Amazon Mobile Ads API lets you place high-quality display ads from the Amazon Mobile Ad Network in your app, helping you better monetize your apps and gain access to highly relevant ads from brand advertisers, including Amazon and its subsidiaries. Starting today, both Interstitial and Banner ads can now be displayed across iOS devices in addition to Android and Fire OS devices. Beginning on July 25, 2014, ads can also be displayed on the Fire phone. As a developer, you can now monetize your apps with the Amazon Mobile Ads API across iTunes, Google Play, and the Amazon Appstore while taking advantage of multiple targeting features.
With this release, we are also expanding ad serving to users in Spain and Italy across Android and iOS. Starting today, the Amazon Mobile Ad Network is serving ads to Android and iOS users in the US, the UK, Germany, France, Spain and Italy.
“Amazon Mobile Ads API is consistently delivering 20% higher eCPM on both Android and iOS platforms compared to other ad networks. In addition to increased earnings, the high-quality tailored ads provides an engaging experience for our users achieving 25% higher CTR.”*
- Tim Oswald, Co-Founder & CEO of Harpan LLC.
* Your results may vary.
Getting Started with the Amazon Mobile Ads API
If you are already using the Amazon Mobile Ads API in your Android apps today you can skip to the Integrating with Your iOS Apps section below. Otherwise, to get started with the Amazon Mobile Ads API, follow these quick steps:
- Sign in or register for a free developer Amazon Apps & Games Developer Portal account. If you do not already have one, you will be prompted to create an account.
- Submit your payment and tax information. (Skip this step if you have already submitted this information).**
- Get an Application Key by navigating to the Mobile Ads tab under ‘APPS & SERVICES’ and clicking on “Register New iOS App”.
- Download and integrate the Amazon Mobile Ads API here.
- Submit your app to iTunes.
**If you are performing services for the Amazon Mobile Ad Network outside of the US, please complete the Amazon Services Statement so we report your tax obligations accurately, and do not unnecessarily withhold taxes we are required to collect from developers who perform services in the US.
Integrating with Your iOS Apps
The Amazon Mobile Ads API for iOS requires iOS 6.0 or later and assumes you have Xcode 5.1.1 installed. After completing the Getting Started steps above, you can integrate iOS support in three steps.
1. Reference the AmazonAd.framework in your existing XCode Project
2. Set up your provided Application Key by calling into the AmazonAdRegistration setAppKey class method. You must set your app’s Application Key in order to receive ads. This allows Amazon to track your impressions and clicks, and associate them with your account. Here is an example of calling setAppKey:
3. Load an ad Using AmazonAdView. You can also set a number of optional parameters, including whether this is a test request. Test requests always return an ad and don’t count as part of your metrics. Here is an example of a loadAd call:
For more detailed information on integrating iOS support, check out our iOS Quick Start Guide here.
Note - During integration and testing of the Amazon Mobile Ads API, you should set the testRequest option to true. This indicates that the request is for testing. Here is an example:
Test requests will not show up in your metrics. Test traffic that doesn’t include this flag could result in blocked requests, fraud investigation, and potential account termination.
Ad Size and Targeting Options for iOS
The Amazon Mobile Ad Network supports Interstitial Ads as well as banner ad sizes of 300x50, 320x50, and 300x250 for phones and 300x250, 728x90, and 1024x50 for tablets. Your app should request a device-appropriate size. Please see the following chart for recommended sizes by device:
For additional information on Ad Sizes in iOS, click here. For more information on Interstitial ads click here.
Just like Android and Fire OS, there are a number of targeting options you can include in the requests you send to the Amazon Mobile Ad Network. In addition to ad unit size above, you can specify geolocation (US only), age and gender. For more information on ad targeting in iOS, check out our guide here.
Increased Reach & Monetization Opportunities
The Amazon Mobile Ad Network allows you to participate in highly targeted campaigns with premium advertisers. The Amazon Mobile Ads API can serve both banner and interstitial ads across Amazon Appstore, iTunes and Google Play. For a limited time, when you send the first ad request from a qualified app, you will receive a guaranteed $6 CPM on interstitial ads (up to a maximum of 1 million impressions per app per month). Qualifying apps now include iOS apps. Please find more details here. The opportunities to monetize your apps have never been better!
To learn more about the Amazon Mobile Ads API, check out our developer portal here, the Quick Start Guide for iOS, as well as our blog with tips on ad mediation and tracking ad events inside your apps.