Register a Gadget
To get access to the Alexa Gadgets interfaces, you first must register your gadget through the Alexa Voice Service (AVS) section of the developer portal. This topic takes you through the registration steps.
Before you register your gadget, you must have the following:
- Amazon developer account – If you don't already have an Amazon developer account, go to the developer portal and click Sign In in the upper right to create a free account.
Enter Product Information
To register your gadget, the first step is to enter the product information as follows:
- Sign in to the developer portal.
- If you have not registered an AVS product in the past, click GET STARTED.
- If you registered an AVS product in the past, click CREATE PRODUCT.
- For Product name, enter a name for your gadget. This name will be shown to end users when they register your gadget through their Alexa app.
- For Product ID, enter a string that will identify your gadget during authorization. This can be anything you want it to be. It can contain letters, numbers, and underscores. It cannot contain spaces.
- Under Please select your product type, select Alexa Gadget. After you complete the product registration, you cannot change the product type.
- For Product category, select the category that best describes your gadget, or select Other to enter your own category.
- For Brief product description, enter a description. This helps the Alexa Gadgets team understand what your gadget is, but it is not shown to end users.
- Under Upload an image, upload an image of your gadget. This is optional; you can add one later.
- For Do you intend to distribute this product commercially?, select Yes or No. If you select Yes, enter a projected annual target volume and projected target launch timeline, and select the countries where you want to distribute your gadget.
- For Is this a children's product or is it otherwise directed to children younger than 13 years old?, select Yes or No.
Note: The ability to create kid gadgets is not yet publicly available. If you are interested in building a gadget specifically marketed towards kids, please subscribe to receive updates on the Alexa Gadgets home page.
- If you agree to the Amazon Developer Services Agreement, select the checkbox next to that sentence.
- At the bottom of the Product Information page, click FINISH.
- On the gadget creation confirmation page, click OK. Your gadget's product page in the dev portal will display a secret key. Your gadget will need this key when it reports its details and capabilities to the Echo device using the