Register a Product
In this tutorial, we walk you through creating an Amazon developer account, registering your prototype or commercial device, and setting up your security profile. When finished, you'll have the credentials required to access the Alexa Voice Service (AVS).
Create an Amazon developer account
Unless you already have one, go ahead and create a free developer account at developer.amazon.com.
Register your prototype and create a security profile
After you've created an Amazon developer account, you'll need to create a product and security profile. This will enable your software client to connect to AVS.
Log in to developer.amazon.com. You should be in the Dashboard by default - click the ALEXA VOICE SERVICE button in the global navigation to start building products with Alexa built-in.
If your screen doesn't look like this, try the direct link to AVS dashboard.
If this is your first time using AVS, you'll see a welcome screen. Click GET STARTED, then PRODUCTS, then CREATE PRODUCT.
If you're a returning developer, click PRODUCTS then CREATE PRODUCT.
Fill in product information
- Product Name: Use AVS Tutorials Project.
- Product ID: Use PrototypePi. No spaces are allowed for the Product ID field.
- Select Device with Alexa built-in for Please Select Your Product Type. Select No for Will your device use a companion app?
- Choose Other for Product Category and write Prototype in the (please specify) and Brief product description field.
- Select Hands-free for How will users interact with your product?
- Skip the Upload an image step. This is not required for prototyping.
- Select No for Do you intend to distribute this product commercially?
- Select No for Will your device be used for Alexa for Business?
- Select No for Is this device associated with one or more AWS IoT Core Accounts?
- Select No for Is this a children’s product or is it otherwise directed to children younger than 13 years old?
- Click NEXT to continue.
Set up your security profile
- Click CREATE NEW PROFILE.
- Enter your own custom Security Profile Name and Security Profile Description for the following fields - or use the below example names:
- Security Profile Name: AVS Tutorials Project
- Security Profile Description: AVS Tutorials
- Click NEXT.
Security Profile ID will be generated for you.
- Select Other devices and platforms from the Web - Android/Kindle - iOS - Other devices and platforms options in the Platform Information section.
- Write a name for your Client ID here - you can just use Prototype.
- Click "Generate ID". You should get a Client ID and an option to download it.
- If you're creating this product profile on your Raspberry Pi, click Download to get your credentials onto your AVS prototype. Save the config.json file to your
/home/pidirectory. If you are creating this profile from a different PC, that's OK - you can leave the file to be downloaded later.
- Check the box beside I agree to the AVS agreement and the AVS Program Requirements.
- Click FINISH.
Congratulations! You now have access to the Alexa Voice Service APIs. Click OK on the prompt to continue. Your device should now be listed on your AVS dashboard.
Enable your security profile for commercial distribution
- Open a web browser, and visit https://developer.amazon.com/lwa/sp/overview.html.
- Near the top of the page, select the commercial device security profile you created earlier from the drop-down menu and click the CONFIRM button.
- You may upload an image. The image will be shown on the Login with Amazon consent page to give your users context.
- Click the SAVE button.
Now that you've created your product profile, it's time to get your hardware and start building.