Updating APKs for a Published App
When updating your app, it is not necessary to update all APKs associated with the app. If your update only applies to certain devices, you might only want to update the APKs that target those devices. If you are adding support for a new device, you might simply want to add a new APK, without modifying existing APKs. Device targeting enables you to submit multiple APK files for a single app that target different devices.
- Modifying Device Targeting
- Updating Existing Binaries for a Published App
- Deleting an App Update In-Progress
Modifying Device Targeting
Removing Supported Devices
To remove support for a device, create a new version of your app and simply edit the APK file that currently supports the device.
- On the APK Files tab, in the Device Support section, click Edit device support.
- Deselect the device that you no longer want to support with this APK and click OK.
- Click Save, to save the updated APK.
Adding Support for New Devices
To add support for a device that your app has not previously supported, create a new version of the app and do one of the following:
- Add a new APK to support the device, as described in Adding New Binaries to a Published App
- Edit device support on the APK Files tab of an existing APK to add support for the new device.
Moving Device Support from One APK to Another
To move device support from one APK to another, follow these steps.
- Remove support for the device(s), as described in Removing Supported Devices.
- Update the APK that will now support the device(s) being moved, as described in Updating Existing Binaries for a Published App. Note that this updated APK must use a version code higher than the APK that previous supported the device(s) being moved.
Updating Existing Binaries for a Published App
To update existing binaries for a published app, follow these steps.
- Build your separate APKs following the guidelines in Build your APKs and Configure the Android Manifest.
- Sign in to the Amazon Apps & Games Developer Portal, and click the name of the app you want to modify.
- Near the top of the page, in the area below the name of your app, click Add Upcoming Version, and click OK. You use the Upcoming Version feature both for updating exiting APKs and adding new APKs.
- Choose the APK Files tab. The existing APKs are listed on this page.
- Click the name of the APK you want to modify, and then click Edit.
- Delete the previous version of the APK file, by clicking the X icon and then clicking OK to confirm deletion.
- Drag and drop the updated APK file onto the Upload Binary box. You can also click Upload Binary to find and select the APK file to upload on your file system.
- Edit any of the original APK's information, if necessary, including the devices to which this APK applies.
- Click Save.
- Repeat steps 4 through 9 to modify as many APKs as needed.
- Choose the Release Notes tab. Each update you make to your original app requires release notes. For new device support, you can use a message such as "This update addresses compatibility for new devices."
- Click Save and then Submit App to submit the app with the updated APKs.
Deleting an App Update In-Progress
If you start to create a new version of your app, but decide not to publish the update, you can delete the unpublished version. Use the Delete Upcoming Version button, at the bottom of the page, to roll back to the currently published version of the app.