Create Your Video Skill and Set Up Devices
Step 12: Go Live! (VSK Fire TV)
When you've finished testing your app, and it has been approved to be published, you're ready to go live. Complete the following sections.
- Publish Your Video Skill
- Change STAGE to LIVE in Alexa Client Library Configuration
- Publish Your App
- What's Next?
Publish Your Video Skill
Publish your video skill:
- Return to your video skill in the Alexa Console.
- Click Edit next to your video skill.
- If you need to update any information on the Distribution tab (for example, sample phrases, logo images, invocation words, etc.), do so now.
- Click the Certification tab at the top.
- Click the Submission tab on the left.
- In the Publishing preference section, select the Just certify radio button.
- Click Submit for Review.
- Let your Amazon representative know that you submitted your skill for certification.
Your Amazon representative will let you know when your skill has been certified.
Change STAGE to LIVE in Alexa Client Library Configuration
After your skill is certified, you need to change the skill stage property for the Alexa Client Library. This will tell Fire TV to use the live version of your video skill rather than the development version.
When you initialized the Alexa Client Library, you set the stage as
SKILL_STAGE_DEVELOPMENT with the following code:
// Initialize the client library by calling initialize(). clientManager.initialize(getApplicationContext(), alexaSkillId, AlexaClientManager.SKILL_STAGE_DEVELOPMENT, capabilities);
Change this to
SKILL_STAGE_LIVE as follows:
// Initialize the client library by calling initialize(). clientManager.initialize(getApplicationContext(), alexaSkillId, AlexaClientManager.SKILL_STAGE_LIVE, capabilities);
In the sample app, this skill stage code appears in
Publish Your App
At this point, you're ready to publish your app in the Developer Console. See one of the following:
- If the app is already in the Appstore, see Updating a Published App.
- If the app is not already in the Appstore, see Submitting Apps to the Amazon Appstore.
Amazon will test your app to ensure the video skill is working as designed in the app. When the evaluation is completed and passes, your app will be published.
After you go live, consider adding ways to educate customers about the voice commands they can use with your app. You might explore how other popular apps with VSK integration have approached customer education.