Quick Reference: Personalize the Experience of Using an Alexa Skill
The following resources help you personalize the experience of using an Alexa skill.
- Concepts and procedures
- API reference
- Sample code
- Blog posts
- Videos, podcasts, and webinars
- Twitch streams
Concepts and procedures
- Access the Alexa Shopping and To-Do Lists – A description of how to enable your skill to read and modify the user's to-do and shopping lists.
- Understand Account Linking – The documentation about how to connect the user's identity with a user account in a different system.
- Configure Permissions for Customer Information in Your Skill – Some information about the permissions that your skill can request from the user.
- Enhance Your Skill With Address Information – A description of how your skill can request the user's permission to use address data associated with their Alexa device, and how to query the Device Address API for this data.
- Location Services for Alexa Skills – A description of the services that your skill can use to find the current device location of the customer.
- Request Customer Contact Information for Use in Your Skill – A description of how your skill can request the customer's permission to access their contact information and how to query the Customer Profile API for this information.
- Save the State of an Echo Button Skill – The options that you have to save the state of your Echo Button skill so that you can customize the user experience.
- Session object – The API documentation for the session object, which includes the user ID and other information that you can use to personalize your skill's response.
- Alexa Cookbook: Context – Some sample code that demonstrates how to implement personalization functionality such as requesting permission from the user, using device address information, integrating with shopping and to-do lists, saving the context for future interactions, persisting information across sessions, and saving user information to a database.
- Integrate Skills with Alexa Lists Sample Project – Sample code that incorporates list support into a skill.
- How to Use Session Attributes in Your Alexa Skill to Enhance the Voice Experience – A discussion of how you can use session attributes to personalize the user experience.
- Code Deep Dive: Slots and Session Attributes in the ASK SDK for Node.js – A discussion of how to capture user input using slots so that you can cater responses accordingly, as well as a deep dive into session attributes.
- Personalize Your Alexa Experience in Minutes with Alexa Skill Blueprints – A description of blueprints, which are skill templates, and how to use them to create customized experiences for Alexa.
- How Building for Voice Differs from Building for the Screen: Individualize Your Entire Interaction – A discussion of how to individualize the voice experience through personalization.
- Alexa Skill Recipe: Using Session Attributes to Enable Repeat Responses – A description of how to implement functionality that enables users to have Alexa repeat what she just said.
- Alexa Account Linking: 5 Steps to Seamlessly Link Your Alexa Skill with Login with Amazon – The basics of account linking with Login with Amazon (LWA) and the steps to configure your skills to use it.
- 10 Tips for Successfully Adding Account Linking to Your Alexa Skill – Some best practices for creating a high-quality account linking experience for your customers.
- Beyond the Basics: Best Practices for Adding Account Linking to Your Alexa Skills – An additional list of best practices to help you provide your customers with a seamless account linking experience.
Videos, podcasts, and webinars
- Developing Alexa Skills - Account Linking – A video that describes how to incorporate account linking into your skill.
- Alexa Skill Blueprints – Create your own Fairy Tale Story – A short tutorial that demonstrates how to create a fairy tale story.
- Alexa Skill Blueprints – Create your own Family Trivia Game – A short tutorial that demonstrates how to create a family trivia game.
- VOD - Alexa Account Linking – A broadcast that describes account linking and how to implement it in your skill.