Thank you for your interest in the Appstore Developer Select (ADS) Program. Effective February 15, 2015, we will be discontinuing the program. All apps qualifying for ADS prior to February 15, 2015 will continue to receive their mobile ad impressions, Amazon Coins, and AWS credits benefits through March 31, 2015.
We encourage you to learn about the many ways you can engage and delight customers using Amazon's services such as Amazon Web Services, In-App Purchasing and Mobile Ads APIs, the Amazon Coins program, "Free App of the Day" program, and self-service promotional capabilities through the Developer Promotions Console. We also offer technical tips, guidance on the different ways developers can distribute their apps, and discovery and monetization best practices on the Appstore Developer blog.
Thank you for your continued support of the Amazon Appstore. If you have questions, please contact us.
Amazon Apps & Services Distribution
Support Fire Phone and Receive Additional Benefits
Optimize your apps to support the new Fire phone and qualify for an additional 500K Amazon Coins offer and other rewards! Details Below.
Benefits now available in additional marketplaces.
These benefits are now available for developers with qualifying apps distributed on the Amazon Appstore in the UK, Germany, France and Spain, in addition to the US Details Below.
Appstore Developer Select helps get your qualifying mobile and HTML5 web apps discovered and gives you more opportunities to boost your sales and revenue. As a developer with one or more qualifying apps, you will receive the following benefits:
- Merchandising to Improve Discovery: We'll provide merchandising for your apps that are live in the US, UK, Germany, France and Spain via dedicated Amazon Appstore home page placements in each of these countries and consider your apps for advertising on Fire tablets. Additionally, your qualifying apps that are live in the US Amazon Appstore will receive 300,000 free mobile ad impressions across the Amazon Mobile Ad Network.
- Amazon Coins Rewards to Customers to Improve Conversion: Consumers purchasing your app or in-app items in your app will receive up to 30% of the purchase price back in Amazon Coins. Further, we'll boost customer acquisition by rewarding first-time purchasers of select paid apps and in-app items with additional bonus Coins to redeem toward one paid item from the Amazon Appstore (125 Coins for apps in the US Amazon Appstore and 75 Coins for apps in the EU marketplaces).
- 25% off Amazon Web Services to Help You Scale: You will earn 25% credit back on qualifying purchases of Amazon Web Services (AWS) products, up to a maximum $500 credit per year.
These benefits are available to developers worldwide for their qualifying apps that are available for sale in on or more more of the following marketplaces: US, UK, France, Germany and Spain.
Extra Amazon Fire Phone Benefits
Qualifying apps that also satisfy additional program requirements for Fire phone will receive the following benefits:
- 500K Amazon Coins Offer per Qualifying App: Amazon will offer 500,000 Amazon Coins ($5,000 value) for each of your qualifying paid apps or apps with in-app purchasing that meet the additional program requirements for Fire phone (up to 3 apps per developer). You can create campaigns via the Promotions Console to give these Coins away to consumers on the US Appstore purchasing any of your paid apps or in-app items. See Additional Details below for additional terms that apply to this offer.
The extra Amazon Fire TV benefits are available to developers worldwide for their qualifying apps that are available for sale in the US, UK and Germany marketplaces. Review the program Fire phone requirements for more details about how to get your apps ready today so you can receive these extra benefits.
Extra Amazon Fire TV Benefits
Qualifying apps compatible with the newly launched Amazon Fire TV and its hardware controllers are eligible for the following extra benefits:
- Enhanced On-Device Merchandising: Qualifying apps will have the opportunity to get merchandised via a dedicated category placement on the Amazon Fire TV Appstore homepage.
- 500K Amazon Coins Offer per Qualifying App: Amazon will offer 500,000 Amazon Coins ($5,000 value) for each of your qualifying paid apps or apps with in-app purchasing that are compatible with Amazon Fire TV and one of its hardware controllers (up to 3 apps per developer). You can create campaigns via the Promotions Console to give these Coins away to consumers on the US Appstore purchasing any of your paid apps or in-app items. See Additional Details below for additional terms that apply to this offer.
The extra Amazon Fire TV benefits are available to developers worldwide for their qualifying apps that are available for sale in the US, UK and Germany marketplaces.
For additional details on Developer Select, please review the additional details below, along with the program requirements and FAQs.
- We may update program qualification requirements and benefits from time to time, and may require your app to comply with any updated program requirements in order to continue to receive program benefits.
- The Amazon Coin rewards offer on a qualifying app will be limited to the first 10,000 purchases made by consumers across all marketplaces where the program benefit is currently available, after the app satisfies the program's qualification requirements. Free apps and free in-app items are excluded from this offer.
- An app can qualify only once for each of the 500K Coin reward benefit for Fire phone and Fire TV, regardless of the number of marketplaces in which it is available for sale.
- AWS credits will be computed as a percentage of your pretax AWS spending in the preceding month, and will be posted to your AWS account by the 15th of each month. Unused credits will expire on the last day of the calendar month one year after you receive them. AWS credits awarded through the Developer Select program will be applied to the AWS account associated with the email address of the owner and administrator of the applicable Amazon Apps & Games Developer Portal account. You can review this information by signing in to the Mobile App Distribution Portal and clicking Settings and then clicking User Permissions. The email address will have the Role listed as "Administrator (owner)". There must be an active AWS account associated with this email address to receive the AWS credits. Please see https://aws.amazon.com/awscredits/ for additional terms and conditions that apply to the AWS credits.
For your mobile or HTML5 web app to qualify for the program, it must meet the following requirements:
- Device Support: Apps must be compatible with designated Amazon devices. The current list of designated devices include the 2nd Gen Kindle Fire (Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G) and the 3rd Gen Kindle Fire (Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HDX and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9") tablets. In addition, the app must be available for sale on our U.S. store for non-Amazon devices.
- HD Optimization: Apps must render natively in high definition (HD) at the highest resolution possible on each of the designated devices and use the entire screen without distortion, pixilation, or stretching. You must also include high-definition screenshots (1280x720 pixels or greater) of your apps that can be displayed on the product detail page.
- Amazon Services Adoption: Apps must exclusively use the Amazon In-App Purchasing (IAP) API (if your app enables in-app purchasing of supported digital products) and use Amazon Mobile Ads API (if your app presents ads) on a non-exclusive basis. Games must integrate with GameCircle, including WhisperSync for Games and either Leaderboards or Achievements.
Fire Phone Requirements
To qualify for the Amazon Fire phone benefits, your apps must be available for sale in at least one of the US, UK or Germany marketplaces and meet the following criteria, in addition to those under General Requirements above:
- All apps must implement an app widget using the Home API to display contextual information when the app is brought to the forefront on the device Carousel.
- Non-game apps must implement either (or both) of the left and right panels using Foundation Controls or Dynamic Perspective SDK.
- Games must use the Dynamic Perspective SDK to create an in-game experience that responds to a user’s motion relative to the device. Note that games that merely replace swipe-based controls or gyro functionality with head tracking will not qualify. The game must use head tracking to implement an in-game experience. Examples include the ability for a user to pan and zoom the field of view in a game by moving the device back or forward or the ability to rotate the device about any axis to change the viewing angle of the surroundings.
Fire TV Requirements
To qualify for the Amazon Fire TV benefits, your apps must be available for sale in at least one of the US, UK or Germany marketplaces and meet the following criteria, in addition to those under General Requirements above:
- HD Optimization: Apps must render natively on Amazon Fire TV in HD at 1080p resolution without any stretching or distortion.
- Controller Support: Apps must support at least one of the two hardware controllers- Amazon Fire TV Remote or Amazon Fire TV Game Controller.
We may update any of the requirements on this page from time to time, and may require your app to comply with the updated requirements to continue qualifying for the program.
- Apps containing adult content are not eligible to receive the benefits of Developer Select.
- To receive mobile ad impressions, apps and associated ad content must comply with all requirements of the Amazon Mobile Ad Network, including the Creative Acceptance Policy, and be available for sale in the United States.
- General FAQs: Addresses questions about the basic program as it pertains to Amazon Fire tablets and non-Amazon devices.
- Fire phone & Fire TV FAQs: Addresses questions on the program requirements and the extra benefits qualifying apps can receive for supporting the newly announced Amazon Fire phone and/or the Amazon Fire TV.
What is the Developer Select program? The Appstore Developer Select program offers enhanced merchandising benefits to apps that meet the program qualification requirements. Amazon will provide opportunities to increase the sales of your qualifying paid apps and in-app items by offering consumers up to 30% of the purchase price back in Amazon Coins. We'll also reward first-time purchasers of qualifying paid apps and in-app items with additional bonus Coins (125 Coins in US, and 75 Coins in the UK, France, Germany and Spain marketplaces).
Do I need to enroll for this program? No. We will evaluate your apps to determine whether they meet the program requirements and, if they do, provide the program benefits.
I already have apps on the Amazon Appstore. How can I check whether or not they qualify for Developer Select benefits? You can check the eligibility status of each of your apps by signing in to your Amazon developer account and navigating to the "My Apps" tab under "Apps & Services".
Why is my app that is already live on the store showing a "Pending" status? We test every app after it is published on our store to see if it meets the program requirements. If you published your app or app update recently, it will show a "Pending" status for program eligibility while we evaluate whether it meets the program requirements. Please check back soon to see if your app qualifies for the program.
Will I receive Developer Select benefits for my app in all geographies where it is available for sale in the Amazon Appstore? The 300,000 mobile ad impressions will only be offered to the version of the app that is live in the US Amazon Appstore. The store merchandising and Coin reward benefits will be offered in every marketplace the program is currently available (currently US, UK, France, Spain and Germany).
One of my apps did not qualify for Developer Select. Where do I get additional details about how I can address the issue(s)? You can check for additional details by signing in to your Amazon developer account and clicking on the test results status for that particular app. On the "Apps & Services" tab, click "My Apps".
Can I resubmit an app after making the necessary changes? Yes you can, and we will re-evaluate it for program qualification.
What if my app doesn't use any type of in-app purchasing or mobile ads? Do I still need to integrate the Amazon In-App Purchasing and Mobile Ads APIs? No. Only the APIs that are relevant for your app's use case need to be integrated.
How can I tell if my app renders in HD? The best way to make sure that your app renders in HD is to test it on a Fire tablet and to confirm that there is no pixilation, that the graphics don't appear stretched or distorted, and that the app uses the entire screen space.
Where can I check the status of the free mobile ad campaigns for my Developer Select-qualifying apps? You can review the mobile ad performance report for your qualifying apps by clicking on an app's Developer Select status link on the "My Apps" page. In the pop-up window that opens, click the "View your Mobile Ad Campaign" button.
Why didn't my ADS-qualified app receive a mobile ad campaign? To provide the highest quality customer experience, we may be unable to deliver free ad impressions on any ADS qualifying app that contains sensitive content. Some examples of such content include strong sexuality, foul or obscene language, inappropriate religious or political content and topics pertaining to drugs or alcohol. Please review the program qualification requirements for additional details. If you believe that your app does not have such content and still do not see a campaign scheduled for it, please login to your developer account and use the Contact Us link on the Support page for assistance.
I have additional questions about making my app Developer Select-compliant that aren't answered here. How do I get help with these questions? Login to your developer account and submit your question via the Contact Us link on the Support page.
Why hasn’t my ADS-qualified app mobile ad campaign started? ADS free ad impressions are scheduled to start on the 1st of each month. Amazon reviews the app ad experience for sensitive content prior to running free ad impressions, and your app will need to qualify for ADS benefits by the 20th of the month to be reviewed for the upcoming month’s ad campaign. Any apps that qualify for ADS after the 20th will be scheduled for review for the next monthly ad campaign.
How are the AWS credits computed? Each month, we obtain the value of your pre-tax net expenditures on AWS during the preceding month. The net expenditures are computed as actual expenditures offset by any credits other than those offered as part of this program. AWS will then provide 25% of this amount in credits to you, up to a calendar year maximum of $500.
What can consumers buy with the Amazon Coins they receive? Consumers can use Amazon Coins to buy any eligible item in the Amazon Appstore.
When will the 300,000 free mobile ad impressions be delivered for my program qualifying apps? We will attempt to start delivering mobile ad impressions for your qualifying apps as early as the month following app qualification, subject to availability of ad slots on our network. We expect that most apps will have their impressions delivered within five months of app qualification.
Amazon Fire TV / Fire Phone Specific FAQ's
Will my app need to support both the Amazon Fire TV hardware controllers to be eligible for the extra benefits mentioned? No. To qualify for the extra Amazon Fire TV benefits, your app must support at least one of the Amazon Fire TV Remote or the Amazon Fire TV Game Controller.
My app works well in HD (1080p resolution) on Amazon Fire TV and supports one of its hardware controllers. The app, however, doesn't meet the program criteria for tablets and/or non-Amazon devices. Am I still eligible to receive the Amazon Fire TV-specific benefits detailed above? No. To qualify for the extra Amazon Fire TV-specific benefits, the app must satisfy all program terms and not just those specific to Amazon Fire TV.
Can I support Amazon Fire TV / Fire phone and the Fire tablet via different versions of my app and still be eligible for the Amazon Fire TV-specific and/or Fire phone-specific benefits? No. In order to be eligible for the Amazon Fire TV benefits offered under the program, the same version of the app must satisfy all program requirements, including those specific to the Amazon Fire TV.
Will I need to implement both the left and right panels in my app to qualify for the Fire phone program benefits? No. If your app is not a game, you need to implement at least one panel and the Home API, in addition to satisfying the general program terms, to qualify for the Fire phone benefits.
Where can I check the status of my apps to see if it is eligible for the Amazon Fire TV / Fire phone benefits? You can review the status of your app by signing in to your Amazon developer account and navigating to the "My Apps" tab under "Apps & Services". The last column on this page labeled "Developer Select" indicates the program qualifying status for each of your apps. If it is marked 'Yes', clicking on the hyperlink will display a pop-up window that explains whether or not your app qualified for the extra benefits offered under the program for Amazon Fire TV or Fire phone support.
Which of my apps are eligible for the 500,000 Amazon Coins reward? To qualify for the Amazon Fire TV/Fire phone specific 500,000 Amazon Coins reward, your app must satisfy all of the general program requirements, including those specific to the Amazon Fire TV/Fire phone. Additionally, only paid apps and apps with in-app items are eligible for this benefit and you are eligible to receive the reward on up to three of your qualifying apps.
Can I receive the 500,000 Amazon Coins reward by supporting both Fire phone and Fire TV? Yes. However, you are eligible for a maximum of three awards for supporting each of these two products as set forth in the program requirements (for a sum total of up to six awards).
How can I use the Amazon Coins offered by this program for the Amazon Fire TV and/or Amazon Fire phone? Amazon offers you the flexibility to decide how you want Amazon to give these Coins away to consumers of your paid apps and in-app items (free apps are excluded) that are live on the US Appstore. You can create Coins campaigns via the Developer Promotions Console for each of your live paid apps and in-app items. Note that Coins reward amounts cannot exceed 30% of the price of the app or in-app item.
How can I use Amazon Coins to maximize my results? Amazon Coins campaigns are designed to increase the conversion rate for customers who land on your app detail page. If you create one or more campaigns for apps that are not part of the ADS program (and therefore are not receiving the merchandising benefits that are part of the ADS program), you should consider creating mobile advertising or other campaigns to drive traffic to your app detail page in order to maximize your results.